The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shelster

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Ok perhaps I spend too much of my spare time on Facebook, however, when I read posts on this forum I find myself wanting to 'like' certain comments (as in you agree or find them funny)

Could this be a possibility on the forum?

Readers can then see which posts are favourable amongst readers for agreement and get a general consensus for the correct way forward......

And now I'm waffling :)

I've mentioned something similar in the past and it got turned down.  I just want to throw my support for the idea. 

I'd be hittin the like button for Shelster

Yay BigTuna!

Ok that's two of us...........

I'm a member of a dog forum where they do have a "like" button, and I catch myself looking for one here too constantly, lol! 

I am ALLWAYYYS looking for a like button lol

"Like" for shelster :)

There's so many likes id be throwing around in this thread alone

I've looked for the like button before, too... I've definitely had too much social media time, but I like the idea!

The site has the ability to like and rate things but I would really rather it not be about popularity. An item could get lots of likes but be bad advice. Bad advice sometimes happens but if it has lots of likes a new aquarist is likely to think hey, people like this, I'm going to follow it. Because of that...the rating system is not active.

tcamos said:
The site has the ability to like and rate things but I would really rather it not be about popularity. An item could get lots of likes but be bad advice. Bad advice sometimes happens but if it has lots of likes a new aquarist is likely to think hey, people like this, I'm going to follow it. Because of that...the rating system is not active.

So for example you're worried that a new aquarist might post something like "hey check out my 10 gal with 20 random fish in it" and it getting a lot of likes?  I know that's a poor example but I don't know how much poor advice will get lots of likes or thanks.  I think of it the other way.  I think some of the best adivce here will likely get the most likes, and therefore the best teachers on the site will become the most liked or thanked.  Still not about popularity but about who is providing the most and best help.  Also, how rewarding would it be to post a picture of your tank and instead of getting a few mentions in the thread you see appreciation from the dozens lurking as well???  Either way, the message board it perfect, probably the finest I've been a member of.  Just my .02. 

An example is on another board I am on. There are some members who espouse a certain type of reef keeping. It isn't the best or the only way but they advocate it with religious zeal. They are long standing members of the board and very tirelessly vocal. If there was a like button they would have a ton of likes. People would be inclined to think that was the only way to keep a reef tank and be wrong. The real reason for the likes would not be the quality of the information but rather the charisma and following of the person giving it.

I also do not want someone disliking a post because they dislike the person posting it. etc. etc.

I think it would be nice to have a like button. The Hamster Hideout forum has one and it's just like this forum! (But for hamsters :p)

There is a simple and easy way to agree/ disagree with someone:

E.g:

OP- here is a pic of of my goldfish in my 10 g

2nd poster- wow that is awesome

Me- ^ -1 . Goldfish shouldn't be in 10 gallons

OR

Op- here is my goldfish in a 55 gallon

2nd poster- wow that is awesome

Me- ^ +1 . Good to see proper care of goldfish

:)

Yes I thought as BigTuna suggested, it would make lurkers be more inclined to join in, and then eventually they may start to post much sooner than lurking (not that anything is wrong with just lurking btw)

I would have hoped that if someone did potentially put up a controversial picture that even if it did get some 'likes' that someone would chirp in with a comment advising the tank is not best suited to the species because.......then this post would get the 'likes' plus I'm sure most of moderators comments would get 'likes' as they speak a lot of sense.

It was just an idea anyhow, as I love to check the forum in my spare time (fb is getting a bit silly - ha ha think I need to thin out some 'friends') but I don't always have time to comment on posts I wish to, but it only takes a nano second to click 'like' in agreement.

Yes TT I agree with what you've said there but I was just thinking of a quicker way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back