A Koi Disease?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Guppy Mama

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I went to a usually good fish store, and another not so good one and ALL of thier koi at both places had emormous scaleless patches all over their bodies! Some scales seemed enlarged and then most areas exceot for the very top of the back were missing all together. I asked the 3rd and 4th stores about the condition and one said they probably fought....doubt it. None were aggressive and it wasn't a scale here or there, it looked infectious.

The other place had no idea.

Maybe koi do s ome weird sheddingthing I don't know about or they were sick. Anyone seen this before?

Hi,

Were these young fish? If so some varities like Midori or others do not develop the colour and scales for some time. There are also varities that have some large scale patches and some small-
koi.jpg

The two fish above the fish are an example of what I mean, did they look like this?

You are sooooooo smart! It looked EXACTLY like that! Bummer because I could have gotten a pretty fish there. I just thought they weren't well. Good for the fishies, though. At least I know that it is still a good store. I drive 45 minutes to get there because their fish have always been healthy. phew. I thought I had lost the only good store for fish. Are those your koi?

My koi is not in a pond. He is in a 55g. Will he outgrow it?

That was awesome that you knew what I meant about the scales! Thanks a lot!

Yes they are my Koi, I have plenty more to, that was taken by one of my Mums friends when they were in their old pond. Unfortunatly your Koi will outgrow the 55g pretty quickly, my Butterfly reached 20inches in three years but he was on a high protien diet so your may take a little longer but they are still fast growing fish that produce alot of waste. :) Glad to hear we solved the problem and that your good lfs is still good ;) .

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back