A Game

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ok now for some more trivia.....

When a turtle eats a Portuguese man-of-war- jellyfish, the jellyfish releases a smell that attracts sharks, now that's fighting dirty :grr: .

Some fish from Antarctica have a natural antifreeze in their bodies which makes their blood appear white instead of red. :nod:

Odobenus rosmarus is the scientific name for a walrus, and is Latin for "tooth-walking sea-horse"

Some types of pearl fish swim into a sea cucumber's anus and lives inside it, the sea cucumber breathes through it's anus so it can't keep the pearl fish out :blink:

And last but not least....

When it is a tadpole the Paradoxical frog of South America can grow to 25cm but then shrinks to only 6cm when it becomes a full grown frog.

Keep adding your fishy trivia.:D :good:

The largest fish is the great whale shark which can reach fifty feet in length.

The smallest fish is the Philippine goby that is less than 1/3 of an inch when fully grown.

Fish were the first animals to evolve backbones.

Fish have been around for 500 million years.

There are about 25,000 different species of fish alive today.

A zoonosis is any infectious disease that can be transferred from animals to humans.

A giant catfish in a park lake in Germany became known as "Kuno the Killer" after it jumped out and ate a dachhund puppy whole.

Plastic rubbish kills 100 000 marine animals every year, and that is just the known numbers :crazy:

Lip stick commonly contains fish scales :crazy: I guess that gives it that pearly look :blink: .

Although a Lipizzaner is born Jet Black as it grows up it almost always turns White.
(For those who don't know, a Lipizzaner is a horse. There's also some that don't turn white, mainly Stallions)

I don't know if this has been mentioned but a Tadpole can also be called a Polliwog.

To the above poster, You are correct, Spiders are not insects they are arachnids.

Erm my facts are...

Gaboon vipers have the longest fangs of any venomous snake.

When spoken to, horses distinguish tones rather than particular words.

Horses have 2 blind spots. One is directly behind them and the other is directly in front of them.
ticks, scorpions, harvestmen, and mites aren't either.

Horses sleep standing up (not sure if it's been mentioned yet...)

Coyotes will bring live mice to their pups so that they can practice hunting them.

Hyenas are more related to cats than dogs.

The Norwegian Lundehund has 6 toes on every paw, and turn their forelegs to the side at a 90-degree horizontal angle.

Sharks are the only known species never to suffer from cancer.

Every shrimp is actually born a male and then become females as they mature.

I'll see if I can think of any more...

All common shaped fish have colours that are relative the their surroundings for camoflage from predators, their bellies are generally light to blend with th sky and their tops dark to blend in with the substrate.

If you eat a polar bear liver, you will die of vitamin A poisoning

Although there are approximately 200 million starlings in North America, they are all descendants of approximately 60 birds released in Central Park

Almost every single calico tom cat is sterile. Only 1 in 30000 calico cats is a male!

On average, a child uses 730 crayons by their 10th birthday.

A tiger shark can requrgitate the entire contents of its stomach.

There is a species of lizard that consists of entirely females that, while still only reproducing assexually, must go through mating rituals with other female lizards of the same species. Talk about your lesbian feminist role models xD (I hope no one takes that as offensive, I dont mean it that way)

Most reactions

Back