A Fishy Smell

dem0nz

Fish Crazy
Joined
Apr 19, 2008
Messages
233
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Stafford UK
ok this might sound really stupid but when i lift the lid on my endler tank i get blasted with a slight fishy smell
i am pretty sure this isnt normal,i have been trying to count them all to check they are all alive but there are to many and they move constantly lol.
I have no water stats available but i the tank has been cycles,set up since easter and has weekly water changes.
any idea why my tank smells funky?
 
Could their be rotting plants, food or as you say fish in the tank. Do you do gravel vacs with each water change?

Without any stats, its hard to say whether the water is a problem itself, but I would have a good clean up, remove all decor, plants and see if you can find the problem.
 
Sounds like food rotting somewhere around the lights or tank lid
 
like others have said it must be either:
rotting plants
rotting fish
rotting food
or recently spilled water that has high levels of ammonia, have u a test kit?
 
Do you have any ornaments or anything like that? Perhaps a fish got stuck and died?

That happened to me a couple of years ago when a loach swam up the leg of an ornament and couldn't get out. I had no idea and kept wondering why I was getting ammonia spikes. I won't have ornaments now because of that.
 
MerMaid Mel has a darn good point - and I know that certain things, especially thawed frozen bloodworm and bits of pea - fresh foods that are fed in measured amounts by flicking off fingertips (when they'll come off nicely at all) tend to like flying about all over.
I've found bits of things like that everywhere but the ceiling, (and I refuse to check that high, so could be some hanging on the chandelier, so to speak) never mind on the undersides of canopies or just inside the tank edge above the water where not easily seen and could easily produce a smell.
And when everyone else is waiting for their cut, you don't always tend to think of checking to see where the bits did land, as long as something's being eaten...???
 
i have no ornaments except for a piece of bogwood that pokes out of the waters surface and some live plants that are due to be dug up and replaced.
there is a bit of grime around the rim that i have just cleaned up.
counted and all my fishies are there... phew

i feel like my tanks have been neglected a bit since i started a new job around 2 months ago.
gonna scrub and hopefully replant 2moz and see if there is any difference.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top