A Christmas (moss) Story.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Stan510

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Last year I ordered some and put like 1/4 of it in a jar and the rest in the aquarium. I think I might have taken out too much one day in the aquarium and what was left died. So,all that was left was in a jar. It survived our California winter. Today I put some on a rock and try no.2 in the 240 gallon. Only- its in terrestrial mode with long leafy stems. Not weeping.
Anybody tried getting land form moss to go aquatic and succeed? Try?

Attachments

• IMG_4591.JPG
    IMG_4591.JPG
    307.8 KB · Views: 33
You can use it as something to plant sort of dangling into the water but not totally submerged. I tried it a few years back when I was too tight penniless to buy java moss. It just made a mess of things.
I have a stream running about 50mtrs away with the banks covered in moss but none of it has grown submerged. I think that says it all really. If it hasn't evelved to grow underwater then it isn't going to like it when we try to force it.

I actually tried that a while ago. So basically you find some moss, get a glass container or a separate tank, some string and a rock or driftwood that you want to attach the moss onto. You rinse the moss first to get rid of bugs, You then tie the moss onto the hardscape and put it in the tank ( it is best if it's already cycled) then you leave it underwater undisturbed for about a month. That's how I got mine to work. It looks waaay different when it's underwater for a few weeks. It'll hang down more. Then if it's not dead you can safely put in the tank you want it in. Worked for me, hopefully it works for you too.

Lynnerzer,I used to think that way but the way these "tropical" mosses sail through winters has me thinking if NATIVE mosses might adapt to underwater,if they have to.
Julia- you did that with native mosses? and they took to aquarium life? Time to experiment...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back