A case of swimbladder and fin rot...

cheese_mcphee

Reaction score
I have problems with two of my fishes:

1. I have a male platy who seems to have been on his last breath for the past few weeks, he just lies on the bottom on his side barely moving. I've treated the tank several times with a treatment for internal parasites, but its made litlle difference. He can still make it up to the surface to eat, but then just slumps to the bottom again. I'm assuming its a swimbladder problem, so i'm wondering if any of the swimbladder treatments actually work. He also seems to have a bit of internal bleeding.

2. My balloon molly is suffering from a bit of fin rot. I've been treating the tank with Myxazin for the past few days, any idea how long it will take to clear up the problem?

I've heard Melafix is very good, is it worth trying? I can't use it just yet due to the medication i'm putting in already.

N.B. The tank is almost a year old, and so are the fish. The nitrite and ammonia levels are at 0, nitrates are a bit high, the water is very hard and pH at about 7.5.

Any help on either case would be greatly appreciated! :)

I'm sorry I didn't notice your email :X . The swim bladder maybe too far gone, but hopefully not. Try doing a 15% water change. Do your fish look more revived? I haven't dealt with swim bladder but as for the fin rot I used Melafix on my male guppy along with salt and icnreased my tempto 78 to help heal his fins. Also i did daily(or every second day) water changes to make sure the water was in good condition and wouldn't result in further ifnection. My male guppy is doing much better, takes along time for full recovery but he's getting there.
Hopefully your fish recover :thumbs:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back