A/C out

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Luna0341

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My A/C went out last night. Through the night my tank stayed at about 78 degrees but the temperature this morning was at 81. I froze my water change water last night that I keep reading. So I was able to put ice in the tank that's been treated. Got the temp slowly back to 78. I put more water in the freezer, but I'm going to be doin this all day. It's supposed to get up to 90 today. Anybody got any advice on how I can cool this tank down. I got a box fan on it, took the lid off it. I don't know what else to do.

My A/C went out last night. Through the night my tank stayed at about 78 degrees but the temperature this morning was at 81. I froze my water change water last night that I keep reading. So I was able to put ice in the tank that's been treated. Got the temp slowly back to 78. I put more water in the freezer, but I'm going to be doin this all day. It's supposed to get up to 90 today. Anybody got any advice on how I can cool this tank down. I got a box fan on it, took the lid off it. I don't know what else to do.
Can you increase your water surface flow? This will help a bit to increase convective cooling - the cooler water from evaporation, aided by box fan, will mix and bring up warmer water from below.

If you have lights that put out heat, turn them off. LEDs won't add much heat so I would leave them on.

It depends on what fish you have. For years I have done summer tanks outside on a screened terrace (3 sides are screens). There is not a lot of direct sun however. My water can get into the 90F range and my fish do fine because where they come from the water will sometimes get that hot. I have a lot of plecos from the Big bend if the Rio Xubgu in Brazil. But I have kept other fish outdoors as well and they did fine.

As suggested open lids and get air flow going across the surface to help move heat out of the tanks. If you have fish that jump you may ned to put a screen on top of the open spaces.

I was never a fan of the bottle thing. Year ago we had this sort of issue in a house with no AC. What we did was use ice driectly. We siphoned water out of the tank into strorage containers which normally have lids and that fit into the freezer. We then replaced the water in the tank. We made a system where we always had container frozen in the freezer ready to go into the tank. they float like icebergs :)

By using a tallish container normally used for food purposes we would then run tap water on the outside of the container to make the ice block come out. One block went in as we refilled the empty container with tank water. We kept several containers in the freezer so that the time to freeze the one was not a concern.

If youy go with the bottle method be sure not to fill the bottle all the way up. Water expands as it turns to ice and can break things when it does.

Can you increase your water surface flow? This will help a bit to increase convective cooling - the cooler water from evaporation, aided by box fan, will mix and bring up warmer water from below.

If you have lights that put out heat, turn them off. LEDs won't add much heat so I would leave them on.
Increasing the surface agitation will also aid in gas exchange at the surface, aiding oxygenation

Warmer water holds less dissolved O2

Well so far I been able to maintain about 78-80 degrees. Which 78 is about what it normally is. Been adding small amounts of ice about every 30 mins. I got the lid off and my box fan on it. Room temps at about 85 at the moment.

Well so far I been able to maintain about 78-80 degrees. Which 78 is about what it normally is. Been adding small amounts of ice about every 30 mins. I got the lid off and my box fan on it. Room temps at about 85 at the moment.
Situations like this are a good reason to keep some air pumps and bubblers on hand, to increase surface agitation

I keep some cheapo battery-powered air pumps on hand...that way, you are prepared for power outages, as well...(hurricane season)

I normally don't use bubblers in ANY of my tanks, but they sure are handy for situations like this

I let my tanks go up to whatever temperature they got to in summer. They regularly sat on 30C+ (86F) for most of summer. In winter i let the temperatures drop to 18C. You don't have to let it drop that low but I did.

Most tropical fish are fine at 30C for a few months. Just have lots of aeration and don't overfeed them.

Well to be honest, I think my Betta would be fine, my Cory cats is what I've been worried about. But anyway. I was in this battle all day, finally got AC fixed, so all is good now. Lol. We made it! Thanks for everyone's advice I appreciate it

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back