£80 For A Frogspawn Coral !

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

rhysiboy

Fish Addict
Reaction score
well whilst having a look in my LFS coral tank i spotted a frogspawn coral and saw it was £80. Is this too much for one of these and also it was only about the size of a tennis ball , if that. Its just that im gonna move into corals quite soon so i have my feelers out and about for frogspawns, rics, red mushies, green mushies, bright zoas, pussy leather, GSP and xenia. Also if anyone frags any of these and would be willing to sell at cheap price and post them then drop me a pm as i may buy (say may because currently have no money but probably can blag some of my sister or mum and dad)

yeh that is very expensive! You can get them from about £20+

Tbh that is a rip off my LFs goes for about 50 quid. I got mine from Atlantis Aquatics for 17 quid! and its probs worth in the shop about 45 quid no joke, best try online shops u save loads!

The price is completely dependant on the size, buying corals is not like buying fish. While on head of frogspawn at an inexpensive shop might go for $20 at a very inexpensive shop a coral with 3-4 heads would be at least 50 USD and 5-6 heads would be 80 USD.

I think 80 quid is too much for anything less than 12 heads.

Yeh i agree. Lol love your signature BTW!!!

Matt

I paid 50 USD for 3 heads. I guess it depends on the number of heads. I also buy all my stuff online. My buddy said he bought one with 2 heads for 65$ at the shop. How many heads does your have?

I got 4 heads for £35

Have you had any problems with the red sea cleaner and frogspawn Matt?

I have a red sea cleaner I've had about 6 months and bought a hammer coral which was ripped to bits in three days - just wondered if a frogspawn would fare better. The RSC is about 3.5/4 inches and is a good eater by the way - eats anything I feed, but clearly likes the hammer coral too. Doesn't touch the softies I have though.

Have you had any problems with the red sea cleaner and frogspawn Matt?

I have a red sea cleaner I've had about 6 months and bought a hammer coral which was ripped to bits in three days - just wondered if a frogspawn would fare better. The RSC is about 3.5/4 inches and is a good eater by the way - eats anything I feed, but clearly likes the hammer coral too. Doesn't touch the softies I have though.

It did die about 4-5 months after I bought it, but I don't thing it was the RSC, it fell off my LR onto its heads and it didn't open up again after that.

Matt

Agreed, frogspawn pricing depends a lot on size of the specemin and color morph in some cases. There are some rarer color morphs that cost a pretty penny here in the states, especially the "wall type" frogspawn. However for the more common species I typically pay $5-$10 per head.

oki dokey i see. the frogspawn did have like 30 heads on it but it was realy small. hmm me thinks im gonna have to get a frag if i can ever consider buying oone

Frogspawns grow relatively quickly, so even a frag can become a fullsize colony. Come to think of it, I've never bought a colony larger than 4 heads :). And remember, the defining characteristic of a "head" is the presence of a mouth. Tentacles do not make the head, mouths do.

Yer i had one when i got mine its been few months and ive got 2 now :D

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back