90 Gallon Mbuna Stock List

June FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

oif_vet

Reaction score
I found a deal too good to pass up on a 90-gallon 4-foot tank with the intentions of setting it up as a Mbuna tank. After the required diligent research, I have came to the most daunting task of all: what fish to put in. I plan on running a canister filter with possibly two HOB's. Possibly Tahitian moon sand for substrate and plenty of dark rocks to form caves. What fish to put in is the only thing I am unsure of, but I am thinking the following:
metriaclima aurora
pseudotropheus socolofi
cynotilapia afra- cobue
pseudotropheus saulosi
iodotropheus sprengerae
and maybe one or two bristlenose to finish things off
Not sure on the ideal ratio of male:female for all of these, I was thinking 1:4. Would this leave this tank too overstocked? Does anyone see any problems with these species? I'm obviously flexible in my choices, and want to have the most successful aquarium I can!

Well for someone starting out with a mbuna set-up you have chosen wisely and got a good list of fish there mate (makes a change lol):good:..The ratio's of 1M/4F will be fine as long as your filtration is upto it, maybe 2 canister filters would be better. The more filtration the better really with a mbuna setup :)

Well for someone starting out with a mbuna set-up you have chosen wisely and got a good list of fish there mate (makes a change lol):good:..The ratio's of 1M/4F will be fine as long as your filtration is upto it, maybe 2 canister filters would be better. The more filtration the better really with a mbuna setup :)

Great! I will definitely get two canisters just to make sure the filtration is up to the task.

yep +1 . just to echo what malawi mad said really , your choices show that you have actually bothered to do some research beforehand , which makes a nice change . big pat on the back lol . where do you plan on getting your fish?

Thank you very much! I always like to research beforehand so that the fish don't suffer, and I think a poorly planned Mbuna tank would end up costing me more in the long run. I'm still researching, I think I may have to order online because the lfs don't have much selection. I'm in the States, and I was looking at davesfish.com, the reviews that I can find seem to be very positive, but I'm definitely open to suggestions!

Your welcome :)

Daves fish looks a pretty decent place to me, never bought from them but it looks professional and if the place is getting good reviews then thats a good start :good:

Most reactions

Back