9,000 Gallon Tropical Guppy Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Not a fan of that bypass either. The concrete/pool guy did that initially. Original plans called for no filter and %100 water flowing through the UV. I asked the guy to build the bypass so the UV would work like it is supposed to. Otherwise, the water would move too fast through the tube to work efficiently. Since I put the 4x filters on the rear side of the pump house (previous photos), they act as a bypass anyway. Now, so it is a moot point.

I am so glad it is holding a steady temp @ 80-82F it's been 30-40F outside at night. I thought that was going to be an issue.

I got some fish photos coming soon, getting another 40 or so cori cats and like 20 more of those jet stream loaches. I like the big schools of cats.

7B41A1CF-FFF2-4D43-85ED-6197E0ABF30C_1_105_c.jpeg

We were unsure what the plan was for life in the aqua-terra-pond, and I got a couple of turtles, one male, and a female turtle, in there. These polka-dot guys stay relatively small and have not been chasing the guppies around (too bad). I think the guppy population is self-sufficient.
EB4CFA72-44F2-4F26-8C36-34FE234BE0AC_1_105_c.jpg

I was trying to heat almost 9,000 gallons initially. Unfortunately, I could not get it above 60F. Besides having 6x 100' extension cords running from all over the place to power these things without blowing something up. Not an efficient way to heat that much water.

26D687C4-A293-46D4-8BBC-177138798745_1_105_c.jpg

Last edited:
Not a jet stream loach in the photo. Some other loach-guy, there are at least ten or so in the pond. It's so big, they disappear.

Wow! This is amazing!!!! Welcome to TFF

you should fix that UV bypass...
if you turn the 1st valve to bypass and the 2nd to the UV the water has nowhere to go
you could've had the 1st valve to bypass...connect the UV straight to the outlet pipe and have the 2nd valve on that pipe to work as a close/safety valve or for maintenance of the UV
if someone ever does that by mistake it also defeats the purpose of the split from the filter/UV
because the point of it is if both filters get plugged the water still runs bypassing the filters and still moving around
so if someone did do that mistake and the filters got plugged....
hell on earth ^^
I already exploded a 3' Waterworks gate valve with that 3xhp pump 😩
Screen Shot 2023-01-02 at 1.46.41 AM.png

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back