9,000 Gallon Tropical Guppy Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

PhisherMan

Reaction score
Over the last six months I have built this tropical habitat for guppies. It is heated to 80-82 F. Currently I have a bunch of exotic guppies, loaches, cory cats, plecos etc. Any Ideas?
4D706CCB-DDB3-4BD7-A0D2-CA0D0F5F71B6_1_105_c.jpeg

"If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you will find is a non-working cat on your hands."

Dr. Slatesworth's Big Book of Wisdom, (vol. 6, ch. 29, pp. 237-236)

Last edited:
by the center stones i'd say it's a 10' x 28' which would be 4.3' deep to be at 9000gals..
how close am I? xD

for the size I would probably make it for koi...they're bigger..easier to spot and lots of different colors
And if it's for koi, it wouldn't need to be heated much if at all. White clouds or Medaka would also work in cooler water. I would want it to be something that would be easy to sell when things get crowded. Put one variety of rare pleco in to help control algae and as a way to return some of your investment.

One other consideration, the bigger the fish you put in it, the more you need to protect them against predators like raccoons, hawks, kingfishers, herons, egrets, and so on. I've heard of a pond's fish being picked off one at a time by a hawk, I've seen a kingfisher enjoying a fish farm's bounty, and I've had raccoons ravage a tank that I had temporarily set up outside.

Last edited:
by the center stones i'd say it's a 10' x 28' which would be 4.3' deep to be at 9000gals..
how close am I? xD
That's about right on with the size. ID 24' x 12' OD 26' or 28' i cant remember. 4' deep. Pulls from a bottom drain centered on each side, and two skimmers via 3HP pump through 3" pipe, then to filtration systems heaters and returns through the aggregate beneath the plants flowing into the center area. So far it's
Screen Shot 2022-12-29 at 5.04.17 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-12-29 at 5.04.49 AM.png
43EDCCB5-39E6-452D-A088-1B0AC6B80329_1_105_c.jpeg
0FC97DDF-CA99-4FFD-823D-88714503E6DE_1_105_c.jpeg
all over w/ stock. Lots of guppies, 7xbanded loaches, 20xflat flounder looking loaches?, x6 zebra loaches, x4kuli loaches, 40cori cat(assorted) schooling 5-15, 12-15 assorted plecos
Screen Shot 2022-12-29 at 5.04.36 AM.png

you should fix that UV bypass...
if you turn the 1st valve to bypass and the 2nd to the UV the water has nowhere to go
you could've had the 1st valve to bypass...connect the UV straight to the outlet pipe and have the 2nd valve on that pipe to work as a close/safety valve or for maintenance of the UV
if someone ever does that by mistake it also defeats the purpose of the split from the filter/UV
because the point of it is if both filters get plugged the water still runs bypassing the filters and still moving around
so if someone did do that mistake and the filters got plugged....
hell on earth ^^

That's about right on with the size. ID 24' x 12' OD 26' or 28' i cant remember. 4' deep. Pulls from a bottom drain centered on each side, and two skimmers via 3HP pump through 3" pipe, then to filtration systems heaters and returns through the aggregate beneath the plants flowing into the center area. So far it's View attachment 308262View attachment 308263View attachment 308265View attachment 308266all over w/ stock. Lots of guppies, 7xbanded loaches, 20xflat flounder looking loaches?, x6 zebra loaches, x4kuli loaches, 40cori cat(assorted) schooling 5-15, 12-15 assorted plecosView attachment 308261
Nice setup! I'm guessing that the flounder-looking loaches are hillstream loaches. It would be very cool if those breed in your pond.

I like where I live, but such things are impossible here. That is really nice. I have always wanted a long looping stream set up, since I also would have smaller fish in any set up. I really don't like koi.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

• Essjay
  • Chad
    Reef Tank, Crustacean, and Puffer Enthusiast

Members online

Back