87 Gallon Stocking

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

LyraGuppi

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I have a 87 gallon tank and want it to become a cichild tank. I've decided on a breeding pair of severums (breed undecided) and a "group" of Bolivian rams. I also would like a shoal of rosy barbs.
So here is my plan:

2 severum, 1 male 1 female
5 Bolivian rams, 1 male 4 females
8 rosy barbs

All with loads of driftwood and java fern.
smile.png

Be aware this is just a blueprint, it is all subject to change.

You should get Red Spotted Severums, they're stunning. I own a younger red spotted severum, and from experience, I can say it was one of my best purchases.

Sounds like it would be a nice tank when finished but keep in mind that severums grow pretty big. How big is your tank? a pair is gonna need quite a bit of space.

wrightt3 said:
Sounds like it would be a nice tank when finished but keep in mind that severums grow pretty big. How big is your tank? a pair is gonna need quite a bit of space.
It is an 87 gallon bowfront, 50 inches across the front, 27 inches tall, and 12 1/2 inches wide.

Given that severums grow to be 12 inches, your tank doesn't really give them a lot of room to turn around in. The rotkeil variety however might work as these don't tend to grow quite so big. I've also heard that green severums stay a bit smaller too but I can't confirm this.

Greens, Golds and Reds are the biggest as they are all the same species Heros Efasticous - where as Heros Severus (the mouthbrooder) and Heros sp.Rotkiel stay smaller and would be pretty ideal for this size tank :)

I have a female Heros Severus, shes called Lilly this is an old picture of her now, she is about 10 years old and 8 inches. They have a great red colouration and sometimes she gets a blue sheen to her.
p1050794d.jpg

Severums are one of my favorite fish :)

I like the idea of mixing them with the Bolivian Rams, I have Cupid Cichlids with mine and that works well and I imagine its a similar relationship in the tank. I would think about the Rosy Barbs only because I think that the tank would better suit some kind of Tetra - Lemon Tetras would work really nice as would Flame Tetras their behavior is much more natural for the cichlids and their calm nature will bring out the confidence in the Bolivian Rams. You could also look at some larger Characins like Spotted Headstanders which would work nicely :)

One thing I would say as well is about getting some bottom dwellers in there - Whiptail Catfish are really nice and you can get some great species that are really graceful, I like them because they are more active than normal plecs and are usually out all day. Some kind of bottom dwelling catfish like Cories and Hoplos, Dwarf Hoplos are nice but I also like tanks where they have a school of cories and a trio of normal Hoplos I just love the little and large look :)

Hope thats helped and given some ideas
Wills

Okay, here is a new blueprint:

2 Severums, either Rokteil or Severus
5 Bolivian rams, 1:4
7 albino cories

Sorry if it is boring, my wallet has a huge hole in it. ;)

Sounds good :) You dont need to worry about male to female ratio too much with the Rams as they are quite peaceful and the tank is big enough for them to move around if 2 of them should pair up.

Dont worry about buying all the fish imediately :) Taking time to choose the fish rather than saying from day 1 right this is it is often much better as you will learn more about what you like etc etc :) You can always plan to add later on, like I say Lilly is about 10 but my most recent fish were added earlier this year

Wills

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back