75G Planted For Beginners. Haha.

I have finished the 46g scrub down, but I am not setting it up yet. My hubby is going to bring home some black paint tomorrow. Might as well paint my background while the tanks is broken down.

I am NOT painting my smaller tanks as I am planning to start playing around with aquascaping.
:good:

Doctor confirmation on Fish Tuberculosis. I am about to start a 6 MONTH!!! antibiotic treatment. The really bad thing is that I am still breastfeeding my baby and didn't plan to wean him this soon. The antibiotics aren't known to be dangerous or safe, so we are in few a rough few months.

I am going to continue breaking down all my tanks and sterilizing them. I hope that I am able to rinse away the bleach thoroughly.

My plants that I did the test run with in the 10g are all melting. I think my bleach solution was too strong. I am also not able to save any fish as the platy fry and other fish, that I thought were healthy have all been exposed. Looks like they are all in for an icy end.

That is horrible news! I had a feeling it was TB but it's so darn rare and hard to get rid of. Now you know you can never get fish from that supplier ever again. Sterilizing that 75 + all your equipment is going to be a huge pain. Everything that has touched that water has to be sterilized, so if you used the same net/siphon in all your tanks you should sanitize/sterilize all your tanks! Sounds harsh, but fish TB IS that bad :(. Might be worth investing in an autoclave if you have a ton of original pieces that you want to save. Sanitizing in a crock pot/pressure cooker can work but not as effective as an autoclave(LOT cheaper though). Sanitizing with a pressure cooker Have you considered selling the tank and buying another tank, possibly a used tank (maybe even one with a silicone leak and fixing it). Resealing an aquarium. I re-did 2 aquariums this weekend, took 2 hours to scrape/clean them both and apply new silicone. Just remember no silicone with anti-mold, and wet silicone will not stick to dry silicone.

Also I would be more than happy to supply you with some old filter media to get your cycle back up and running (I have small bio balls and mesh, which ever you prefer). I also have a proverbial #70###-ton of J.marlieri fry and L.ornatipinnis fry (and maybe some Pelvicachromis pulcher if they don't get eaten this time lol) I am willing to give you for free.

Also some literature worth reading:

-Re: How to clean tank after fish TB

-Quote: "Prevention
When aquarists become infected by Mycobacterium marinum, it is usually because the carry out maintenance work when they have cuts or other skin problems on their hands or arms. Our skin is remarkably good at keeping malevolent microorganisms out, but as soon as the skin gets injured, an important part of the body’s defense system has been breached. It doesn’t have to bee a large wound; a simple paper cut or eczema can be enough for Mycobacterium marinum to slip through. When handling an aquarium where you suspect that Mycobacterium marinum may be present, it is consequently important to use protective gloves. You may have a tiny sore that you haven’t even noticed, such as a torn cuticle. Some aquarists prefer to use gloves all the time, or at least when they have damaged skin, since it is impossible to know if Mycobacterium marinum exists in an aquarium before the fish start to show symptoms of fish tuberculosis. You can also catch fish tuberculosis by using your mouth to start a siphon. Washing your hands and lower arms with soap after handling fish and aquariums is naturally always recommended."
Fish TB, quoted material

-Fish TB in humans

TL:DR=You can catch fish TB so wash after handling fish/fish water and/or wear gloves, and keep your children away for the fish.

I really appreciate the thoughts. I have already finished my 46g... Trust me, I have treated this like the plague. I have used a strong bleach solution and soaked anything that could, including my sand. That WAS A NICE pita TO rinse. It took me 3 full days with my husband watching the kids. The 75 will take so much longer.

I am very careful with hand washing and rinsing everything I use in the tanks, but I had a papercut, and that was all it took.

Anyway, I would gladly accept your offer of media, but if you could wait until I have some cash to cover postage and replacement media if you need. All the fish medications had really wiped me out. BROKE!! Is the word. :lol: My biofilter is obviously gone. If it wasn't I would be very suspicious of my bleaching job.

I really appreciate the thoughts. I have already finished my 46g... Trust me, I have treated this like the plague. I have used a strong bleach solution and soaked anything that could, including my sand. That WAS A NICE pita TO rinse. It took me 3 full days with my husband watching the kids. The 75 will take so much longer.

I am very careful with hand washing and rinsing everything I use in the tanks, but I had a papercut, and that was all it took.

Anyway, I would gladly accept your offer of media, but if you could wait until I have some cash to cover postage and replacement media if you need. All the fish medications had really wiped me out. BROKE!! Is the word. :lol: My biofilter is obviously gone. If it wasn't I would be very suspicious of my bleaching job.

Once I get paid ill see if I can spare any currency to ship the media. Do you need mini bio balls (for wet/dry) or pads (HOB). And don't worry about getting illnesses from me, the only thing that has showed up in one of my tanks was ich, but that was a very very long time ago (and you won't be getting media from that tank ;) ).

Also I know that UV light has sanitizing properties, so filling the tank with 1/4 and the rest water and leaving it in the sun (with saran wrap over the top so the bleach won't evaporate) for a few days couldwork well. Then finish with an Isopropyl (80-95% strength) wipe.

Edit: Just PM me when you need it

It would go in my external. I don't think it matters which media though, whatever you can spare. Don't worry...I would really be happy to pay for shipping. Just need a payday. I was spending every extra cent on fish meds just to have to euthanize them. Only time will let me stop being annoyed over it.

I haven't been around for a while but just want to say I am so sorry to hear what the problem turned out to be. Hope all will be ok soon.

Thanks Snazy. Was wondering where you've been :) It's going pretty well. I am starting on the 75g today which will be an insane job. The filter and sand are the hardest things.

Scrubbed everything today except for the sand, and tank. I took apart the koralias, my co2 stuff...everythingggggggggggg. I lost half of my plants again and may lose more before I can replant them. They are in bowls of dechlorinated water and I know the crypts and swords at least are not going to be happy about it.

My husband was kind enough to euthanize the last of the fish, including poor Rhett, the baby betta :sad: Since I stole a lot of plants for here for my 46g, I think I am going to start out with an island type scape. I only have a few stem plants that hopefully will survive the bowl. The rest are crypts and dwarf sag.

I am planning to start a new journal like I did with the 46g. A fresh start all around. This journal started with me hardly knowing anything and being full of optimism. It ended so sadly, I have to move on from it. I was reading a few pages back and I really think I went bipolar under the stress.

Once the disease was diagnosed, I started to sound like myself again. What a mess this has been.

Ya, it really sucks. You have had a streak of the worst luck ever :S . Your situation has made me re-think how I keep fish, I went and got 2 nets for each tank and made individual siphons for each tank with matching buckets. Even moved my QT tank out of my fish room.

If I were you I would just get new sand, play sand is cheep and totally not worth the risk.

:lol: :lol:

It's fitting as I've lost almost all of my plants and I'm starting with bare stems and melting crypts. No worries though, I just have to build up slowly.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back