75G Planted For Beginners. Haha.

Oh well that sucks. Just a question, how'd your 46 get infected?

I fishless cycled this 75g and went to buy 1/3 of my stock {thats all the fish store got in} I only had 1 male and 1 female platy in the 46g because the other female died in labor. SO when I bought the 75g I bought a female platy, she was in with the apistos for a few days before I was going to put her in the 46g. I was very careful about cross-contamination after the first apisto died but it was too late.

It was about 99% bad crappy luck, and 1% stupid on my part. But how would I guess this would happen, people buy fish all the time without bringing home some kind of nasty fish plague.

Thanks. It's been a terrible ride, but it can't get much worse from here.

Good luck I gotta go to bed it's late here.

For Everyone who has answered my endless questions and been supportive :thanks: .

If you have seen my posts recently you will know, I had bought some very sick fish. All of my tanks were contaminated as the fish were intended for separate tanks and it was a highly contagious parasite. They began dying 3 days after purchasing. We have not figured out exactly what it was killing my fish, even after I had spoken with quite a few experts. I do not have a place locally that can do a necropsy.

The secondary infections and disease that followed are much worse and it has become impossible to control. I cannot treat the secondary problems and the parasites at the same time, and it has become a depressing battle. We have decided to start over. Too much suffering in my house, we respect all living things and have to end this chapter.

We are tearing down our tanks, one by one, and doing a full scrub down with a mild bleach solution. That includes my filters, substrate, and PLANTS. If you have any advice on going about the sterilization of the tanks PLEASE let me know. I don't want to lose my plants after losing so many fish.

Wish me luck please on the restart, I plan to go about it in the most positive way possible and have a little fun with the rescapes. :fish: :fish: :fish:

:( that's really a shame, but if it really is that bad. What are you gonna do with the fish?

There are a group of fish that got better as far as I can tell. They have been living in a large rubbermaid while I observe them. All of my platy fry, except the 2 deformed ones seem fine. I have a fish shop that will take all the healthy fish and watch them for awhile. They have been kind even though my situation perplexes them as well.

My clown pleco is going into a Qt tank, as I cannot let him go. The same with the last Apisto of the original 6. He is doing well and has his own 10g. Seems lonely lately. All of the rest are very, very ill with numerous secondary issues that are affecting their quality of life. I was treating with copper as my last resort and feeding medicated food for the parasites, but I still lost 6 fish this week.

This isn't a post about quitting. I literally have done everything I can possibly do. Not one person that I have asked can give me anything else to try past this point. I have spent $250 in various medications. It would be cruel to let the remaining fish suffer, and I obviously can't help them after all of my efforts. My husband thinks a pool of clove oil is the best option. We can start fresh. Many people would have quit by now, I know it.

Good luck with the restart! You have chosen clove oil to euthanise fish, which seems to be a good option. I myself have used a simpler and painless method: put a plastic yoghurt tub or similar filled with water in your freezer. Once there is a small layer of ice on the water, break it and put your fish in there, one by one. They are gone in a second and the cold numbs all their feelings.

Thanks Lu. We hadn't bought the oil yet and that way seems much simpler. I'm anxious to get started on cleanin and scrubbin. :) The only bad thing about my plan is that I will lose my filter bacteria. I'm headed for another month or so of cycling...If I save enough plants I will put them all in one tank so I can at least silent cycle there. We will see.

Another big Thanks to you Lu. I had tested the frozen water method and it is very fast. I'm scrubbing my 10g down first. I would love to throw my betta in there as it will be my only remaining fish from before the mess.

A bleach dip with plants should kill the diseases and rinse away clean. Hopefully I will lose less plants then I did from the copper.

I am glad the method is working out for you. A few years ago I had a dwarf gourami with a kind of hole in the head and I was able to keep him alive on medicated foods for 6 months, but it didn't get better. So I decided to relieve him from his pains as we say in Dutch and investigated several methods and asked around here too.

It worked very fast as you say, and my fish didn't even move fins anymore, once touching the water.

Sounds like your pleased at least :good:

I appreciate the support but, No. Pleased is not the word. I am sad. My family is sad. Optimistic is the word we are attempting. People buy fish everyday without dealing with what I have been.

I am starting to think that I was dealing with Fish TB.

I hope that the bleach is easily rinsed away.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back