The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Barry Tetra

Fish Aficionado
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
Hello, me again.

I need a stocking ideas for my 6 gallons tank with sand substrate and densely floating elodea.
KH 3dGh GH 3dgh pH is 7.6
I could raise the hardness with crushed corals and sea shells I just got from the beach.

Here is the list of the fish I wanted:
Pea puffer
Golden wonder killi/ blue panchax killi
Bumblebee goby
Guppies
Scarlet badis
Honey gourami

Help me choose.

@Colin_T @NCaquatics

Id opt for the badis. Downside is they can be iffy to feed.

Too small for everything else, panchax killies get huge at 4 inches, so need a 20g or larger.

A pea puffer may be okay, but bigger is better as I hear they're very active.

Guppies need larger, at least 10g for males alone, larger with females due to prospect of fry.

Bumblebee gobies... iffy. Honestly I'd want to put them in larger because they can be sensitive. Plus easy to mix them up with the brackish species too

Honey gouramis are social and need to be kept in a trio or more, so 20 gallons is the minimum for these. So a 6g is too small.

Bumble gobies for this tank, and nothing else. They will be really cool and entertaining

Avoid Golden Wonder Killifish as they will grow large and they will eat smaller fish.

Go for small fish as some have mentioned - Bumblebee or Scarlet Badis...

I have a suggestion outside of your list. I’d suggest a couple of African dwarf frogs. The tank should be just about big enough for them and perhaps some guppies in there too. They are super funny to watch escpecially when they eat. They also sing at night time.

I’ve watched aquarium co op lately and their stocking was like that.

Do you think Corey’s youtube channel is trustable in your opinion?
are there any fishkeeper youtuber that recommend the stocking list?

@NCaquatics

I’ve watched aquarium co op lately and their stocking was like that.

Do you think Corey’s youtube channel is trustable in your opinion?
are there any fishkeeper youtuber that recommend the stocking list?

@NCaquatics
I think Cory is trust worthy with stocking and fish choices I don’t 100% agree with him all the time but that’s ok.

Badis would be my choice maybe with some shrimp or micro crabs would be cool. A Betta would be nice too just by its self tho

I think Cory is trust worthy with stocking and fish choices I don’t 100% agree with him all the time but that’s ok.

Badis would be my choice maybe with some shrimp or micro crabs would be cool. A Betta would be nice too just by its self tho
Betta was my first thought.

IMO, pea puffers would be to big for a 6g tank. @Barry Tetra, what are the tank dimensions?

But pea puffer are only 2 cm though

tank dimension are 10”x10”x13”
I think your measurements are off - Pea Puffers are usually 1.5 inches long.

That 6g should be good for 2, if you decide to do that. My vote is a single Betta or a few Bubblebee Goby’s.

I have a pea puffer in a 3 gal. tank and another one in a 6 gal. tank. They are messy and require you keep an eye on tank cleanliness and parameters, but they are worth it. So much fun! Both tanks are heavily planted with lots of nooks and crannies for them to explore.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back