5G Additions?

Mcbenthy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey,

My gf has a 5G tank that she is planning to put a betta in. It already has 8 small cories. She has shown an interest in looking around to see what other fish would be suitable.

I was wondering if there were any killies that could work there? I've always enjoyed the look of killies and I think she would appreciate the choice.

Cheers

Having a Betta predominately in the upper water layers and corys on the substrata. I feel you would need something to fill the middle area of your tank to make it a little more interesting.
I would suggest a very small shoal 4-6 small Lampeye sp. to complement your set up
Regards
BigC

I'd suggest getting a bigger tank!! It's already overstocked with 8 cory!
crazy.gif

Having a Betta predominately in the upper water layers and corys on the substrata. I feel you would need something to fill the middle area of your tank to make it a little more interesting.
I would suggest a very small shoal 4-6 small Lampeye sp. to complement your set up
Regards
BigC

Hey, the killies would be in place of the betta. I was thinking more of a slightly larger killie pair? or would the small shoal look better?

I'd suggest getting a bigger tank!! It's already overstocked with 8 cory!
crazy.gif

The tanks is well planted, heavily over filtered, and has 8 fish that are just shy of an inch long. The water is regularly tested and changed when required (any trace of ammoni, or nitrite, or nitrate >50ppm = 50% change). Although to be honest, that is fairly rare (once every 3/4 weeks now that the plants have all settled)

It's already overstocked with 8 cory!
That depends on surface area and waterchanges of course :)
Regards
C

As above, I feel that the tank is adequately stocked. I think a single male betta would be taking it pretty close to it's limit though, hence why I would be reluctant to put in 4-6 killies

thank you for your inputs.

(Ps, Big C would just like to say thank you for all the information you have written about live food cultures, each article has been a great read and really useful)

No worries mate,
The stocking issue could run and run and run and I'm not going to get embroiled in all of that, except to say so long as your maintenance regime is regular then to a point you can sometimes keep more than you think (species dependent)....even via employing automatic water-changing strategies.
atb
C

Ive found that keeping killis slightly overstocked is better to reduce aggression, much like my cichlids etc. Obviously too great a stock wouldnt be great, but if you keep the water clean and fresh it wont be a problem. And also i like keeping as few males as possible. So like 2m to 4f would be good or even a single male.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back