55g Cookie Cutter Setup

parker313

Back Again
Reaction score
I have been interested in african cichlids for a long time. I now have a 55g that is empty and will become an african cichlid tank. I have my new filter currently running on my 46g to get seeded.

I got the tank used from craigslist - the guy had started to go from FW to SW, but never made it. The tank came with 50 lbs of "saltwater sand". He didn't remember exactly what it was, but my guess would be crushed coral or araganite. My thinking is that this would make it an ideal tank for africans since I'd want a buffering substrate anyway. Is tha correct?

I have been poring over the cookie cutter recipes on cichlid-forum for quite a while now and I am interested in either the "Malawi Haplochromine Aquarium" or the "Smaller, Less Aggressive Mbuna Aquarium".

Haplochromine
Select up to 3 groups (Only 1 male for each group is preferred. 9 fish total for the tank):
• Any Copadichromis species (except for larger species i.e. borleyi, jacksoni, etc.)
• Any Promotelas species (except for larger species, i.e. taeniolatus, spilontus, sp. "Mbenji Thick Lip", etc.)
• Any Aulonocara species (no jacobfriebergi)
• Any Placidichromis species (except for milomo)
• Otopharynx lithobates
• Any Nyassachromis species

Smaller Mbuna:
Select any 3 species (max 12 fishes):
• Metriaclima estherae
• Pseudotropheus saulosi
• Pseudotropheus sp. "Acei"
• Labidochromis sp. "Hongi"
• Labidochromis caeruleus
• Labidochromis sp. "Perlmutt"
• Labidochromis chisimulae
• Iodotropheus sprengerae
• Cynotilapia afra
Do not mix any Labidochromis species.

Any thoughts on these? Any fish recommended over the others? Any flaws or recommended substitutions? I keep waffling back and forth so maybe you all can help me make up my mind.

Currently all that's in the tank is the sand and the heater. I will get rocks/decorations based on whatever fish I choose and their needs.

Thanks!
--Kristin

Personally I prefer mbuna, but it's entirely up to you, I know that doesn't really help. :lol: The "saltwater sand" is probably aragonite, and would be perfect, I have it in my tank and love it.

My suggestions for a neat set up:

metriclima estherae - 1m/3f
p.saulosi - 1m/3f
p.acei - 4

That would give you a nice mix of orange/red, yellow, blue, and purple. You could also add a trio of one of the synodontis species, and/or a bristlenose pleco.

Thank you! I like that combo :)

I'd like to have a few stocking lists/options when I go to the LFS just in case they don't have what I'm looking for.

I know they also have some GORGEOUS OB peacocks, so I could hear about those too :p

Hi parker313,

Your tank is an ideal size for many species of African cichlids. If you decide to go with Mbuna, you could pretty much take your pick from any species using combinations as suggested by dthoffsett, i.e. 1m/3f of 3 different species. I would avoid the extremely aggressive species such as M.Auratus and M.Chipokae though.

You could also consider an all male Aulonocara (Peacock) tank. Not the easiest of options as there will be aggression issues to deal with but the end result would be one stunning tank. :hyper:

The plan would be to have a single male, each from different Peacock species, around 8 in total - the reason i suggest males is that they display the strong colours, female Aulonocara tend to be a rather drab brown unfortunately. For this to work, you would be better starting with juveniles and you would also need to add all fish at the same time or 2 groups of 4 for example - adding them 1 at a time is asking for aggression problems against "the new guy" (the same can be said for all African cichlids, especially Mbuna).

Thanks Ferris, I kinda like that idea too :p One of the main reasons that I want to make sure my filter that's going on there is mature is so that I can have a fully cycled tank and add everything at once or in two groups rather than one at a time. I also hope to head to a landscaper supply store to see about some rocks. My lfs has them, but they're about $3/lb!

I am headed to the fish store today to see what they have and what they can order.

Sounds good - let us know how you get on. :good:

Both plans went bust. I had to take my older son to the Dr this morning (routine visit) and I was hoping to swing into the LFS while we were on that side of town. Unfortunately, we were done by 10 and the LFS doesn't open til 11:00. Then, picked my younger son up from my friend who was watching him and he was tired, so we decided to just grab lunch and come home.

The kids are in a mother's morning out program tomorrow, so I should be able to get to the LFS while they're there.

I stopped in PetSmart while I was driving by and they do have some nice looking fish, but I have been burned by their poor quality, disease ridden fish way too often and will spend the extra $$ at my LFS instead.

Oh well - better luck next time. :rolleyes:

It's alright, it saves me from rushing getting my filter mature. With my self-control, I might have come home with a bag full of fish today! ;)

I just got back from the lfs and the rock place. I got 87lbs of rock for $.19 a lb! Only $16 with tax. Wow!

The lfs has some of the most gorgeous brichardi you've ever seen - and it's something that I know that was bred right there in their facility. I hate to admit, I got quite a bit of sticker shock when I started tallying up how much this might cost. I just spent $300 re-stocking my 46g and stocked the 28g as well. I got a great deal on the tank and rock, true but ouch, those african cichlids are $$$. I could go through aquabid or something, but I really do like supporting my lfs when possible.

So, for right now, I am leaning towards the all male peacock tank or going with something revolving around some labidochromis caeruleus, which I've always loved. I need to go research some more... :p

Here it is so far.
6d0oilu.jpg

Man i know the feeling about the money thing on these fish haha.. I always tell myself not to go over yet.. what happens. i always go over. labidochromis caeruleus are a GREAT fish. i love them. i dont think they are to aggressive towards each other and you will love the colors from them. also i dont know how your LFS is on having some of those species mentioned but if you end up doing that you might have to look into some of the other more common species. so you could always look into Red Zebras, Kennyi (very aggresssive) and also some synos would be a very very nice addition. i love my synodontis petricola. best purchase i have made for my tank. so yeah take a look in to some of those maybe? you have TONS of options enjoy. my 55 gallon has 4 Yellow Labs 4 Red Zebra 4 Kennyi and 6 synodontis petricola

They did have some really nice red zebras. I don't remember seeing kenyis. They had some nice julidochromis and some nice johannis, and the coolest OB peackock female raising some fry, right there in the store. They did have some synos, but none of the petricolas and their synos were $30-$50 each. Ouch.

sounds like your lfs has more fish then mine haha.. mine just has these sick looking yellow labs.. i wont buy from them. check out aquabid.. see if you see anything on there. thats where i got my synos from. i got 6 petricola for 50 bucks. and trust me there are some other nice ones to. and whatever you do dont spend that much for a syno. do you remember what kind they had?

Yes, my lfs is very good - I am very lucky!

I specifically remember seeing s. angelicus and I think s. multipunctatus.

Most reactions

Back