55 Gallons Spice

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Man of fish

I'm Interested in.... ----|> that
Reaction score
My 55 gallon tank is in need of some spice. I'm quickly losing interest in the fw section of the hobby in favor of my 120 gallon SW. I also have a 10 gallon fw solely for cherries, but back to the 55. The current stocking is: 8 espeis rasboras, 6 kuhli loaches, a clown plec and an SAE. it's very boring. I want something to add something completely new. It's a planted tank ATM. If nothing really interests me I'll probably sell it and get a 15-20 falling SW instead...

do you have a theme? Wood or Rocks? usually by changing things around (if possible) you are inspired.

now when looking at the tank what makes it boring? the fish, or the layout? 
if it is more the layout then if you can post a pic then more ideas can be added to change it.

for the colour of the fish you have red from the tetras, brown/yellow from the loaches, yellow from the SAE and most likely brown from the clown plec. if you have green from the plants mostly then you can add in some red (if you have the proper lighting/substrate) ex. red lotus. maybe more contrast in the texture of plants is needed? 
for the fish IMO i don't really like the loaches, and would rather have a school of cories, so by switching out those loaches for cories you can have more "interest".
the tetras that you have gives you the colour red and movement, but because you have these type of tetras in your 29 you might want to go with another kind. rummy nose tetras? gives white, red, and black. there are these blue tetras, i have them in one of my tanks, they aren't as blue as when google the picture, but probably with age it'll show more :/
it seems that you need blue. you can add in an angel or pair for a show fish, or a type of larger fish that will hold the blue to make it pop. 
the SAE are good algae cleaners, same with the plec, which if you have a heavy planted tank to keep because of that.

I understand this dilemma. I actually went the other way from what most people do. I married someone that had a SW tank and so started out with SW and then got a FW water. I thought it would be boring to have a fresh water tank after living 2 years with saltwater because the variety of life possible in a SW could not compare. But there are now multiple species of shrimps available, snails, crayfish, you can even get FW clams. And SO many plants and different ways to aquascape. FW has become my favorite.

IF it were me I would completely rescape the tank, and get an oddball fish. Something flashy that can live in a community. I would get a discus or 2. 55gal is pushing it for them but they can handle it if you keep the water parameters just right. Which can be challenging and maybe that's what you need to get your interest back in FW. A challenging species. Good luck!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back