55 gallon tank just had center plastic brace rip apart from plastic rim

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

BobAlston

Reaction score
My 55 gallon tank with black plastic rim and center brace also of black plastic just had the center brace break away from the plastic rim. First concern is whether the brace is structural and I am at risk of the tank leaking. Do not know mfg name. Brace has a wide part about 3-4 inches where it attaches to each side and thinner in the middle. It is at lease 12 years old - bought used from neighbor.

If I am not at risk of flooding, what is easy way to replace brace as it is needed to support the glass top which is in 4 pieces of glass.

Bob

I don't want to be negative, but they break under pressure, and the pressure continues after they break. Tanks can last a long time, but a 12 year old tank with a snapped brace is at risk of failure. It might be a good time to replace it.

There are possible repiars, but they would need you to empty the tank and put in a glass brace. Having done that once and still had the tank fail, I would get into the market for a new tank, quickly.

If you lower the water level for now it will reduce the pressure on the sides.

The brace is structural but it can be weakened by the lights we use, and outside light if it shines on it, its only plastic and many plastics age and become brittle. In my opinion it might still be good if the tank was treated well and not left in the sun at any time.

You definitely need to lower the water in the tank initially, and you will have to place a new brace in the tank. The brace allows builder to use thinner glass on the front and back windows.

@GaryE suggestion to replace might be appropriate if the tank has been left outside, or treated poorly, allowing all the plastic components and the silicone to age more than normal. The modern way of building many of the tanks depends on the plastic framework for some of their strength, and you already have had a break. I have broken the braces but never had one break on its own, this suggests the plastic is already brittle.

A glass brace is a common solution. I used a strip of stainless steel flat bar with bends in so it was placed outside the glass and over the top of the aquarium, cushioned with rubber pads.

Most reactions

trending

Back