55 Gallon Re-Stocking

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Fiji

Reaction score
Hey everyone! 
I've had a 55 gallon tank set up for about 2 years now (ph-7.9ish) running a Fluval 406 and Fluval U4 that had about 5 rainbowfish, 1 bn pleco, 2 juvenile clown loaches, 1Synodontis Angelicus, and 1 elephantnose. About a week ago my tank had a heater AND filter malfunction/tragedy while I was out of town causing my elephantnose and all rainbowfish to die... Now that I've taken care of that I'm looking to new opportunities among the vast world of cichlids! 
This would be my first attempt at cichlids so I have next to none experience. I do know that African cichlids (Lake Malawi,haven't decided on haps or mbuna) are extremely hard to kill and usually look attractive so that's a win-win. But SA cichlids (no discus plz) would probably give me a wider variety to choose from.

I also find knifefish, Leopard Ctenopoma, and blood parrots (I'm aware with theiphilosophical issue with their existence in the hobby), pretty cool looking.
Thanks. 
good.gif

big_boss.gif

WELCOME!!!  Cichlids are awesome.  Make sure you do your research!!!  I have Red Zebras that just had babies.  I have 15 red zebras now!!!  My heater in my saltwater tank failed too and i lost my best fish.  Very sad.  Sorry that happened too you.

Best of luck!  DO YOUR RESEARCH!!! Make it awesome!

Welcome and I love my Blood Parrot.  ;)   Fire mouths are very pretty.  

Would it be possible to have 1 blood parrot, 1 Leopard Ctenopoma, X number of peacock cichldis, and the fish I already have? (2 clown loaches[juv.], 1 BN Pleco) Thanks!
shout.gif

big_boss.gif

Well, it may be possible.  But, the parrot is a combo of central american cichlids. which(anyone correct me if I am wrong) would mean a soft water.  The africans would need a harder water. 

I'm a little late to the topic, but maybe I can assist:

First off, there will always be the hybrid debate, there is no way around that. If you like the hybrids, why not keep them? And just to be clear, there are far more hybrids in circulation than anyone could ever imagine. It is a given that you can walk into any box store and see many hybrids sold - such as Red Devil x Midas hybrid being sold as purely a Red Devil or a Midas.

Now for stocking plans - Your listing is not going to work out well due to the Loaches.

1.  You should have a minimum of 5 Clown Loaches in a group.
2.  Your tank is not large enough for 2 Clown Loaches, much less the recommended 5 minimum.

Now, let's say you were able to re-home or trade in the loaches, you will be in better shape. With 1 Blood Parrot, 1 Leopard Bushfish and 1 BN Pleco, you will be at roughly 65% stocking level. This gives you a little wiggle room for some other fish if done carefully, but this will not include Peacocks.

If you are set on the Blood Parrot and Bushfish:
2 x Blood Parrots
2 x Leopard Bushfish
1 x BN Pleco

If you are leaning more towards the Peacocks:
6 x Butterfly Peacocks (1M/5F)
1 x BN Pleco

And just to throw another option out:
1 x BN Pleco
6 x Pseudotropheus sp. "Acei" (1M/5F)
6 x Labidochromis caeruleus "Yellow Labs" (1M/5F)

Thanks for replying! One of my friends successfully kept a pair of clown loaches with mbunas for many years in a 72 bowfront with no problems and the loaches didn't get much bigger than 6-8", which is the reason i believe they could coexist with these fish. Now I'm actually surprised with the issue with the BN pleco due to the fact that they only grow to about 4-5"; leads me to think they'd be fine as well. I really would like to have peacocks(mostly males) in my tank due to the spectacular colors they can produce. Blood parrots IMO can also be quite attractive; the Bushfish I just want because of how unique it is. I would also like to hang onto my Synodontis because of how expensive it is on the market atm. Keep in mind that most of these fish are juveniles so are only 2-3" right now. 
Thanks again for the reply!
thanks.gif

big_boss.gif

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back