55 Gallon Fish Stuffer

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

fropuf

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hello all.

I mentioned a while ago that I am planning a huge 55 gallon tank. I have changed the plan of what is going in, but I have no idea what to change it to. I need some recommendations for what to put it in. I want as many species of small schooling fish I can get. The water at my place is on average 7.5 pH, and put through a softener. I do not know any specifics yet on the water qualities, just what I said earlier. I don't need the water parameters of the fish, or the numbers, I can research that later myself. Just assume 7.2-7.8 pH and soft to kinda hard water.

I want bright schooling fish, maximum length of 3.5 inches. Just the species name, both common and scientific, would be good.
Thanks.

For those who need more info, the plants in the tank will be mostly artificial, with some real. Some are planned to float. The bottom substrate is going to be gravel.

I have serpae tetras, black skirt tetras and harlequin rasboaras in my 35 gallon tall hex tank.  A large school of each would look great in your larger 55 gal tank.  Use sand as a substrate and get some cories as bottom feeders.

fropuf said:
The water at my place is on average 7.5 pH, and put through a softener.

What kind of softener? Do you mean one attached to the water mains that replaces calcium and magnesium with sodium, or something that you use to treat the water for the tank?
The first kind is not good for fish. They have evolved to live in the types of water found in the wild, not the type of water that is made by this type of softener with its high sodium levels

essjay said:

The water at my place is on average 7.5 pH, and put through a softener.

What kind of softener? Do you mean one attached to the water mains that replaces calcium and magnesium with sodium, or something that you use to treat the water for the tank?
The first kind is not good for fish. They have evolved to live in the types of water found in the wild, not the type of water that is made by this type of softener with its high sodium levels

It's the sodium one. Any advice on how to get rid of the sodium?

It's not a question of getting rid of the sodium, rather of not having there in the first place. I have not  used this type of softener myself but I understand there is supposed to be a separate source of water for human consumption as sodium is not good for us to consume. You need to take your fish tank water from this bypass source, and it is the hardness of this water you need to take into account when choosing fish.

Okay. Just got a water report. pH is 7.8, Total hardness is 425 ppm, nitrates and nitrites are 0, and ammonia is .5 ppm. Does this change anything?

That is quite hard, 243ppm converts to 13.6 degrees hardness. With this hardness, you need to be looking at hard water fish rather than the soft water fish suggested above. Or mix your hard bypass water with RO water and keep soft water fish.

Would guppies thrive well in those water conditions? I want to have a school of guppies if they do.

Yes, they do thrive well. Your water is harder than mine even... mine is 275 ppm. I have 3 guppies (I know people, I need more guppies...) and they are thriving (or would be, but Max won't leave Sammy alone...) in my hard water. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't mollies also be good in this water?

Thanks. I don't know about the mollies, but I'll see if they can work. Any other suggestions for good, small schooling fish in a really hard water tank?
Mollies do thrive in those conditions, although they get kinda big for what I'm looking for. Still, I might take some if I can't get anything else.

Some of the Endler strains are really beautiful and they are certainly small. But obviously if mixed with guppies there would be interbreeding.

I also found some really pretty killifish on seriouslyfish... there might be more that would suit your water.

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/nothobranchius-eggersi/

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/nothobranchius-foerschi/ (the pH might be just a little too high)

These might not be an obvious community tank choice, but it goes to show you still have some lovely colourful choices with your water if you do not want to go for livebearers. Without having looked specifically at the exact requirements, I also believe in addition to certain killifish some rainbowfish and some gobies might live in hard water. Have you had a good look through those species?

fropuf said:
Any other suggestions for good, small schooling fish in a really hard water tank?
Definitely have a look at rainbows. Nearly all of them prefer hard water. Dwarf neons or Celebes might fit the bill, depending on exactly what size/colour you prefer.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back