55 Gallon And 40 Gallon Tanks

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

kingmed

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I at the time have a chance to buy a 55 gallon tank that's already setup in someones house with fish in it cycled and everything with plants growing in it and a 40 gallon tank that was used at one time for saltwater. Eacy tank comes complete with stands, they have no cracks or nicks out of the glass---the guy is buying new furniture and needs them out of his house. He said he'd sell both to me for 150.00. Question #1 Is there a way to keep things cycled in the 55 gallon and keep the plants alive until I pick it up and bring it home? The tanks are aprox. 2 hrs. away from where I live, I was thinking that if we kept water over the rock as we traveled and kept the filter material in a bucket that it might be OK, but I've never done this type of thing and need any input you all might be willing to offer. I really would like to have a large tank like a 75 or more but I'm thinking it might be smart to start off with the 29 gallon that I have and set up the 55 gallon to make sure I will be dillegent enough to take care of them like I should before continuing, also I hate to turn down such a good deal. The seller said that the plants have been rooted for a long time and are fairly tall, he said they were low light plants---is there anyway of keeping these alive until I get home without disrupting them from the gravel?

It will be difficult to not disrupt the plants in the gravel. You would have to leave the gravel in the tank in order to avoid disturbing the plants. They should be fine if you take them out for a couple of hours. Also, your going to have to empty them and will most likely lose a great deal of beneficial bacteria in the gravel and the filter. You will probably have to go through a mini cycle if not a full one again in the tank.

It will be difficult to not disrupt the plants in the gravel. You would have to leave the gravel in the tank in order to avoid disturbing the plants. They should be fine if you take them out for a couple of hours. Also, your going to have to empty them and will most likely lose a great deal of beneficial bacteria in the gravel and the filter. You will probably have to go through a mini cycle if not a full one again in the tank.
If I used bio-spira would that help kick start the cycle once again?

if the biospira was properly handled yes, I would just drain the tank down to the gravel, gently set it in your car and load all the filter material in a bucket and fill the bucket with the used tank water, seal tight and it should be ok. Id take it home and use amonnia for a few days to keep the cycle going...if its ok great, if somehow the bacteria died then you wont have a huge fish death.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back