55 gallon Amazon-ish tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Extarys

Reaction score
Hi!
Following the suggestion of my friend RR, I'm starting a thread about my journey for my first biotope tank.

I'll update this when I have new dev going on for this tank. (Or if something change in my 32 while my Corys wait on me for the 55)

Currently I got a 32 gallon tank with 5 peppered corydoras, 3 palespotted corydoras (I added 2 today so the other one is not alone), 5 black Kuhli Loaches, a couple of fancy guppies (one is pregnant again) and 2 apple snails. 2 driftwood, 2 small anubias (bought today), 1 cladophora (Moss ball), some java moss. It's a little mess but soon some will have a new home like their natural environment.

My anubias have some leaves that hava e a little hole or some scratch but I'm hesitating to cut those. I may use my old Aquaclear 50 to help it grow faster because it'll be outside of the water. I'll add Seachem Flourish and Flourish Excel ot help my plants too because I want them to grow kind of fast without CO2. Right now I know there's not much floor space for them, but I found a way to make full of hiding places :D

32-Overall.jpg 32-new palespotted cory.jpg 32-anubias.jpg

My filter is a Hydor Pro 350 with 1 of the two bags of biomedia that came with it, in which I mixed Seachem Matrix and some Fluval Biomedia too.

So I bought a used 55 gallon long (48 inches x 12 inch x 21 inch tall), it came with a Fluval 306 (I tossed the used sponges and biomedia), 2 circulations pumps and sand (I tossed this also). The guy used to keep Cichlids.

Tank received.jpegFilter.jpg Filter cleanup.jpg Circulation pump.jpg

I removed all the sand in it and now I'm waiting for the rest of it to dry, I'll vacuum what's left. I also removed the top since I'm going to buy LEDs.
Most sand removed.jpeg Waiting for it to dry.jpeg

I want it to be the new home for my corys and kuhlis. I'm also looking for neon tetra or similar. Maybe 15. And another schooling fish.
My tap water pH is 7.6 though so it will pose an issue. Right now I'm not modifying it, but I'm looking for peat moss to help a little and give the water a beautiful tan. Also give the fish the environment they deserve. I also read earlier today that some leaves can color the water which will be awesome if I can get some.

Next step, cleaning the tank with vinegar, getting natural looking sand (like play sand) and getting a stand or something for this tank. I need to make some calls tomorrow to find play sand.

It'll go in my "geek" room where I keep my server and computers. Now I need money hahaha.

For the lights, I'm in between, Elive LED that are flexible but not that strong, but it would allow me to make part of the aquarium darker. Or the Fluval Fresh and plant 2.0 which is quite expensive and very bright. I read that since the water is going to be tinted, the light might need to be a little strong so the plants have enough of it. Please let me know what are your thoughts on that.

If you have any tips for me please dive in. :)

If I overlooked something or if I don't go deep enough, also tell me please I'm not really used to that stuff.

Have a good one!

EDIT: I read on the forum that I can put half inch to 1 inch peat moss before putting my sand, would it be a good idea?

Last edited:
I think that neons would do great in this tank! I am also doing a Amazon Biotope so good luck to us!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back