55 Gal Tank

Bigd5482

Fish Fanatic
Joined
May 6, 2009
Messages
147
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Posted on this earlier in the week and haven't gotten any responses. Got a 55 gal tank that came with 2 4 inch SA bumble bee catfish, 6" to 8" common pleco, 6 Black Skirt/Widow Tetras. So with my fish in here is the list :

Pair of Kribs
5 Guppy's
7 Harlequin Rasboras
2 1/2" rubbernose cat
6" to 8" common pleco
4 Peppered cory's
2 4" SA bumble bee catfish
6 Black skirt/widow tetras
3 apple snails

Now tank came with a bio wheel filter set for a 60 gal tank and my 29 gal tank had a filter for a 35gal that was mature and cycled. My old filter is running in this tank along with the bio wheel one to get the tank cycled. Here is my stats as of today :

Amm 0
Nitrite .50 (did a WC) 5 hours later (in hospital with wife) Nitrite is .25
Nitrate was 40ppm after WC still at 40ppm
PH 7.4

Now I know the tank has A. more fish in it B. a new filter that needs to get its bacteria level up

I know with nitrate it can spike and stay higher if the tank is overstocked which is my concern. So hence the question overstocked or just in a mini cycle? Also I'm more than likely going to be giving the common pleco to my LFS and possibly get an albino bristlenose instead. Would swapping those two out possibly help the tank out more?
 
yeah you are a bit mate the plec is too big really and should be rehomed and there is 30 fish in there you should really upgrade or rehome a few but im just as bad so cant really coment lol
 
IMO, yes that is a lot of fish, but they aren't big fish with large bio-loads (minus the pleco) so I don't think you're really overstocked. I'd prob rehome the pleco though as you said you are already. I'd probably rehome the guppies too.. they'll just reproduce like crazy.
 
Well the fancy tail guppy's i want to reproduce I have a seperate fry tank for them and switch out different males to make different strains of colors. Plus I feed some of the fry to my betta and bigger fish in my tank. Some of the oddball colored ones end up getting fed to my eastern mud turtle as well so the guppy's are used for a lot of things :P.

I'm rehoming the common pleco and planning on getting an albino bristlenose how would stocking be then? Other thing I considered was rehoming one of the bumblee cats and possibly 2 of the black widow tetras is this plausible or would it be ok with the pleco gone and bristlenose in its place?
 

Most reactions

Back
Top