55 gal fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

StarOrbs

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I recently saw a clown loach and a lot of different types of chiclids in a LFS near me and I'm wondering if it's possible to have a clown loach in a 55 gallon tank. I currenly only have plants in my tank right now because I'm cycling it. So I'm wondering if I can even have it in my tank? If so what other fish could I have with it?

If not then what chiclids would you suggest for the tank if any? Any suggestions? After seeing all these fish in the LFS made me wonder if I could do any of them. Thanks in advanced. :)

hello

i have cloan loaches at the moment but they are only small, the thing with them is that they can be agressive and they do get very big but you could probably get them to get along by buying them when they are small and grow them up with your other fish and they shouldn't bother anyone else in the tank hope this is usefull

memnon :)

So any suggestions on what other fish you could put with them? Anyone?

Okay, thanks for the information.. because it takes so long for clown loaches to grow I've heard so I got plenty of time till they outgrow my tank plus I don't plan to overstock the tank. I usually understock. I'm planning on 3 because I believe they like to be in groups. Are there any chiclids they will work with the clown loaches?

Well clown loaches get to 12" but they get there slowly. IMO, they shouldn't be in a 55 gallon but many people do it; some with plans to upgrade as the loaches grow. They aren't aggressive - I don't know why memnon thinks so. They are also very social and should be in groups of 3 or more of their own kind. Obviously though, with the size they get to, you can't keep many. They do well with most any fish that they won't be able to eat as they get larger. They are also quite sensitive to water quality and prone to getting ich.

I'd say cichlids would be a great idea for your tank.

If it's going to be planted though, you may have to go with smaller neotropical and dwarf cichlids. Things like rams or apistos. If you do go with such cichlids, you'll be able to breed many of them if you have a lower pH and softer water. They aren't as aggressive as many other cichlids and many can be kept in a community tank with fish like tetras, livebearers and gouramies - so you get the idea. You'll need to research whichever species you preffer as their temperament and prefferences do vary. I like bolivian rams myself - they like harder water than german blue/gold rams, are generaly hardier and are somewhat more aggressive. They also aren't as expensive as many apistos tend to be.

If you would like something larger and maybe a little more aggressive, I'd research mbuna and other african cichlids and see what you like. Fish like yellow labs, rusty cichlids, p. socolofi and p. saulosi are very nice to start with. The problem with these is the hard water and high pH they need - and most will destroy your plants...

Another one to consider might be pulcher/kribs. Very adaptable, not much larger than most dwarf cichlids and though often more aggressive, can be kept in a planted tank without as many problems. They are also quite easy to breed.

Ofcourse there are other cichlids like those larger and more aggressive american cichlids like convicts and other africans other than those I mentioned from various rift lakes etc. And of course there are discus and angelfish :p

Thanks for the reply sylvia. :) I'll do some searching and see what I find. I also got to do a search and see what my other fish store has because I wasn't looking at these kinds of fish before. :)

Everyone beat me to it :p So to answer your latest question (hopefuly before someone else does :p )...

Fish like the rams and apistos I mentioned will work for smaller loaches (should be ok with larger ones too I think).
It's also possible to keep larger loaches with yellow labs though their water requirements are different. Kribs/pulcher and keyholes (forgot these before) would work as well.

I forgot one thing to ask is if you feed the clown loaches some type of vegetable will that stop them from eating plants?

That depends on the loach :p It will usualy keep them from eating too many plants but if they get hungry they will still nibble on your plants. They aren't too bad with plants though IMO. I mean they won't normaly destroy all of them and there are certain plants they'll completely ignore. I guess it's a matter of trial and error with this.

Alright, thats cool.. So far I have a list of fish that I like, any suggestions on if they like to be in pairs or groups would be appreciated..

Bolivian Rams
Keyholes
Pearl gouramis
I'm not sure on what else I got to go check the LFS tommorow.

Well it doesn't matter how many pearls you keep but I'd say one male and some females. Males aren't aggressive to each other realy but it's better to keep one with multiple females anyway.

Bolivian rams would be fine in a pair or alone. When they breed they will become more aggressive but they should be fine in your size tank.

The same goes for keyholes. Deffinately get more than one keyhole though IMO. They are surprisingly shy (considering they are cichlids) so getting more than one might get them to come out more. Getting some kind of out-going schooling fish like danios or non-nippy barbs might also help with this.

Alright, sounds good..

How would this work?
3 Clown Loaches
4 pearl gouramis
2 Bolivian Rams/ Would German Blue rams be alright too?
2-3 Keyholes
5-7 Rasboras or something similar
It adds up to about 62 in of fish which is over the 1 in per gallon rule fish..
Would this be alright or should I figure out something else? This is assumming I can find the Bolivian Rams and Keyholes of course. Keyholes look cool I hope I'll be able to find them.:)

Personally instead of Bolivian Rams go with German Blue Rams because they have more color and less agressive. Also on the keyholes Id go with just 2. Nice choice with clown loaches, their my favorite fish. And also what ever happened to your 30 gallon?

Alright, i got to check what my LFS has but I know they have German Blue Rams thats why I asked. :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back