5 Gallon Tank Idea

Nik00117

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Dec 14, 2008
Messages
153
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Daegu, South Korea
I was at the LFS and considered something. Now I know this setup is OVER stocked HOWEVER I intend on doing a complete fishless cycle and feel as if this might be a neat setup.

A 5 gallon tank
1 Betta
3 Cories (maybe two if need be)

I'd get a slightly stronger filter then required and heavily plant it up for cover. I'd use sand as well

What are your feelings on this? I've had bettas and cories before and they were comptaible and worked out fine that was in a 10 gallon with 2 guppies a betta and 1 corry.

I don't feel as if this is too overstocked but I've been out of the trade for a long time now what are your feelings?
 
I'd say YES...Pygmy Cories would be a good choice if you can get them....
 
im nawt so sure..... pygmy cories MAYBE..... u could work it in a 10 gal.....


pygmy cories will be fine in that size of tank i would get 4 minimum no more than 6 max


the only problem u may have is the betta as each betta is diferent, so keep an eye on it.

introduce cories first then betta :good:
 
Sounds nice to me, I wish i would have thought of that when i got my betta :P. Hope it works out for you. Lemme know cause I might go for something like that in the future.
 
i have a similar thing going in a 6 gal. with loads of plants, betta and cories with sandy substrate. its awesome! My betta is NOT keen on sharing his space with another betta (he breeched his divider and beat the snot out of the other one) but completely ignores the cories! (or anything else for that matter including shrimp-but i have not had luck keeping shrimp alive and dont really know why)...you will find with lots of plants, a "strong" filter will not be necessary as they use ammonia preferentially to nitrites or nitrates (and less ammonia means less robust colonies of bacs so a big filter will not be necessary). keep healthy plants and they will keep healthy water. i is actually a very cool thing!
 
I've kept tons of bettas before. My LFS said that they are more then happy to exchange the betta within 7 days if I feel he is too aggressive.

So then 4 cories? That's fine then.

Prob start it off around the same time as my large tank.
 
To get away with 4 cories in a tank that small they need to be pygmies that only get a bit over 1 inch long as full adults. They can't just be small because they are young. The cories that stay small are habrosus, hastatus and pygmaeus. Sometimes an LFS will try to tell you that the small pandas, etc. that they have will be fine but they get too big for this plan.
 
Im currently doing a fishless cycle also, and was just going to have it as a shrimp tank..

Reading this, could I have, say, 5 Corydoras Pygmaeus AND shrimp?

Its a 6UKG..

D.
 
Declan, you could get away with the 5 cories and shrimp but you would be fully stocked at that level with no room for any changes. I like to leave myself with other options when I stock.
 
I wouldn't get a strong filter with a betta. The current will blast him round the tank. A decent sponge filter and regular weekly water changes ( I would go for at least 50% per week with that stocking ) along with heavy planting and the tank should be great. Good luck :good:
 
I understand this WOULD be a OVERSTOCKED TANK. I know that from the get go. I've talked to my LFS and they said I have 7 days as well if I found my bettas to be too aggresive. They will trade it in for another betta. I also talked to them about speacil ordering the cories they mentioned they said that'd be acceptable I just have to pay a bit of a fee. So I think I will do it.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top