5 Gallon Shrimp Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

NathanWilliams415

Reaction score
Planning on getting a 5 gallon aquarium for cherry shrimp. I can't get a bigger one due to space on shelf.

I was planning on using a sponge from the filter in my 20 gallon and a some fish to cycle it. Is it a good idea to also use some water from my 20 gallon as well? Like would that help it or would it just bring over unnecessary contamination?

The 5 gallon is fine but be warned your tank should not only be cycled but it should be mature, that means it should be up and running for at least 2 months before adding shrimp.

Shrimp dont like big water changes so your tank needs to be stable with ammonia and nitrite at zero and nitrate under 20, Above 20ppm RCS are susceptible to disease and infertility.

A 5 gallon tank is fine for shrimps, I had 2 separate 5 gallon tanks running with a mix of amano and cherry shrimps for about 5 years.

As NickAu already mentioned, shrimps prefer established mature tanks to settle in as newly set tanks tend to fluctuate a little and shrimps are pretty sensitive to changes in water parameters.

But that’s not to say it won’t work in a new tank, far from it. Just a case of being well prepared beforehand and a little experience and knowledge of keeping good and steady water parameters really helps.

Lots of natural wood, java moss plants, Anubias, Java ferns and floating plants, those sort of low tech plants will be perfectly fine to start with as shrimps do like to have lots of hiding places to feel less stressed about new environments.

The addition of catappa leaves is fairly good for shrimps as this provides a source of food as well as natural decor for shrimps is a good choice to have.

Water temps for cherries is not paramount as long as temp is not under 18C and over 24C, I tended to keep my shrimps between 19C to 22C max. Water flow, does not particularly matter either, slow water flow or a little turbulence is fine as shrimps are not fussed as long as there are places where they can move to their difference preferences of flow between plants and decor.

Food can be pretty much anything, but I have found shrimps are particularly fond of mulberry leaves, aramanth and algae wafers as well as frozen food which as cyclops but feed them these sparingly, almost as a treat every once in awhile as too much of any of the above will provide too much protein etc which is not good for their health.

A source of calcium if you have particularly soft water is a good idea as this helps their shell growth and for moulting.

Water changes once a week at around 20 - 30% should be adequate.

And to answer your question of whether to use tank water from your 20 gal, nope, won’t do a thing for your new tank at all really, basically is just pooped dirty water and adding that to a new tank is not going to help anything. Chlorinated fresh water is best and so be absolutely sure you have cycled this tank before adding any shrimps, this is of utmost importance imho.

Oh, and adding fish from your 20 gal to the 5 gal for cycling is not the best idea, very few fish, are suitable for a 5 gal tank so this would only stress out the poor fish and putting them through a cycling process is not a nice thing to do.

The addition of mature filter media for fishless cycling is best thing to do along with testing water and addition of ammonia to test at appropriate times is truly best method.

I see. Thank you for the info. I wont be adding the 20g tank water now. However if I dont have fish that are living and producing waste in the aquarium how will it cycle? I've never done a fishless cycle before and I know nothing on how to do it. Should I just add fish food and let it decay?

Is adding a juvenile kubotai rasbora or two really sending them to sickness or death or will they just be a little unhappy for a month until I put them back in the 20?

If you are using some established media from your 20 gal filter to the 5 gal filter, this will help greatly.

It may also be worth adding a little gravel from the 20 gal to the 5 gal as well as bacteria grows upon every surface inside the tank as well as the filter.

The addition of lots of live plants will be of benefit for helping with ammonia and nitrite control.

Shrimps have a very low bio load so you won’t need a lot of bacteria compared to your 20 gal.

But if you want to test if your tank and filter on the 5 gal is cycled, you would need test kit for ammonia and nitrite as well as some ammonia and dosing up to 1ppm ammonia maximum since there’s only a small bioload from shrimps.

Do not use fish food as a source of ammonia, very messy and unpredictable in terms of how much ammonia will occur from rotting fish foods (not to mention you’ll likely have problems with water column as well as planeria type worms as a result of too much uneaten food lying around in the tank).

You can get a small bottle of ammonia which can be purchased online, Dr Tims One and Only ammonium is one example but there may be cheaper alternatives if you shop around. Just as long as it’s ammonia hydroxide and nothing else, that should be fine.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back