5 gallon Fluval Spec V

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Any updates on the tank?
IMG-3474.jpgIMG-3477.jpg
Well would you look at that. So far we noticed 1 berried shrimp.
Very niceu Caesar Chan (Jojo reference :banana1:)

SHE'S GIVING BIRTH!!!! :banana:
I am filming her at this moment as she's giving birth. Right now there are 2 fry, but I expect there to be more. I have a semi-fry tank set up without any filter or aerator, but there are plenty of plants like duckweed, java moss, bacopa and ludwigia. It's actually a kimchi jar(probably at least 1 gallon), but for now it should do while they develop and not get eaten.

@Essjay can you tell me whether or not that is adequate? also it's in front of a window so it gets the same amount of sun as the outside plants do.
IMG-2639.JPG

Edit: The gravel is actually planting rocks for houseplants, and I did not boil them. Should I try and restart the tank by taking the stick and rocks out and boiling the gravel?

Update in real time: Cardinal tetra ate one - OOF
this is the most excited I've seen it since I got it

If the small tank is only going to be temporary for the fry, I would get a couple of stems of anacharis and leave them to float as well. Not only will they take up ammonia, they'd givethe fry somewhere to hide if they feed unsafe.

If the small tank is only going to be temporary for the fry, I would get a couple of stems of anacharis and leave them to float as well. Not only will they take up ammonia, they'd givethe fry somewhere to hide if they feed unsafe.
I don't actually have that much anacharis, only a stem that came in the bag when we got the male cherries.
It's been making extra stems but they've all been dying.

I will try to get the fry though

That’s awesome news about the momma giving birth! Congrats on all the new little ones!

Water change today - looked back at old pictures: tons of plant growth :banana:
Bacopa needs constant snipping. Might have to remove anacharis - dying.

I’ve grown a ton of different species of aquatic plants over the years, dozens of them ranging from very demanding and delicate to huge and hardy. Out of all of them, anacharis NEVER did well in any tank I tried and I have no idea why. Every once in a while I’d try getting some more and trying in a different tank and not a single one ever did well for me.

UPDATE: Transferred some babies over to the mini tank. I think that some fry will survive in the main tank bc of tons of plants. Eventually will give some babies to LFS.

Fry tank update: fry displaying growth - visibly bigger. Turns out I accidentally introduced a baby ramshorn in there when I put plants in, I guess that'll be my algae eater while I wait for the shrimp babies to come out. (I actually haven't seen the berried in a while so I'm a bit worried)

also happy Canada day 🇨🇦

Actually, contrary to many websites' recommendations, the cherries are doing perfectly fine with the guppies.

UPDATE: turns out on 1 of the 4 females are pregnant. The 2 males are flying around the tank, likely looking for a mate(other tank mates are acting normally) Pretty soon the fry will be too big for the tank, and the bioload will be too large. I am hoping that I will be able to catch all of them soon. Also, there is a bunch of algae building in the front, so today I might just scrape it off and not do a water change this week

Also tmrw bloodworm feeding time :rainbow:

FRY UPDATE: lately only seen 4 living ones, but probably more around. Been feeding ground up bits of fluval bug bites. Should I be feeding them daphnia or mosquito larva?

Most reactions

trending

Back