FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

BetterWithBettas

Fish Fanatic
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Hi all!
*long post alert*

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this question but I have an idea/want to know people's thoughts.

I have always wanted to make a 'super tank' for a Betta fish. By super tank I really only mean, a huge tank (comparative to most Betta tanks), heavily planted without other fish and perhaps a clean up crew - I.e. nerites/ a couple of mystery snails.

We recently decieded to sell the inhabitants of our 4ft community tank and we have yet to sell the tank itself. It dawned on me that I could use this tank as my super tank and rehome my plakat Betta Elvis from his 75litre into this tank. I would do some mods on the tank, such as getting a perspex lid made - it's an old tank and looks pretty bulky. But all in all would be cheaper than buying a new tank. I was originally thinking of a tank that holds approx 150 litres so this is much bigger than my original idea.

I would clean the tank completely and buy some appropriate plant substrate for this new tank. I want it to be a long term set up that can hopefully look after itself with minimal maintenance one day.

We used a canister filter for this tank but that is a bit old and I would probably need to buy a new one. My question is, does it have to he a canister filter? Could I use a large HOB filter as the tank would be very understocked? And for lighting, what would be the best plant growing light for this size tank?

I have just always really liked the idea of having a large Betta Tank and watching them interact in a very large environment - are there are flaws in my idea? Is 4ft too big for a single Betta? All input welcome, I want to consider all things before committing to this project- thank you!!

No such thing as "too big" when it comes to aquariums!
But they don't look after themselves. I know what you're getting at though, that size space filled with plants would be awesome.

That would be interesting. I put a Betta in my 55 gallon once when it was empty of fish except for a pleco and he pretty much stayed in the upper corner after awhile except when I fed him. I only had him in there for a week or so before moving him to a smaller tank.

TBH a sponge filter would be perfectly adequate. An HOB would be fine but make sure there is not too much flow, or plenty of space for the betta to escape from it. Mystery snails will probably eat your plants but nerites would work as would MTS.

Nice idea - we'll look forward to pics.

No such thing as "too big" when it comes to aquariums!
But they don't look after themselves. I know what you're getting at though, that size space filled with plants would be awesome.
Sorry that was probably the wrong wording but I meant because of the low stocking and high plant and water ratio, less fish waste and chances for ammonia swings hopefully! I would of course do maintenance and water changes as needed!!

That would be interesting. I put a Betta in my 55 gallon once when it was empty of fish except for a pleco and he pretty much stayed in the upper corner after awhile except when I fed him. I only had him in there for a week or so before moving him to a smaller tank.
Very good point, I guess there is the chance that they may not 'use' the entire tank. I was thinking Elvis because he is particularly active and is constantly zooming around his current 75L. Thanks for that, I will have to think about this before going forward with the setup!

TBH a sponge filter would be perfectly adequate. An HOB would be fine but make sure there is not too much flow, or plenty of space for the betta to escape from it. Mystery snails will probably eat your plants but nerites would work as would MTS.

Nice idea - we'll look forward to pics.
Thank you for the input - If I were to use a HOB I would choose one with an adjustable flow. I've never used a sponge filter actually so will also look into them as an option!

Just had another thought/idea- I could always half fill the tank or fill it partially and have some terrarium plants growing above the water line also! The tank is just so big! I could really do a lot with it if I can figure out how this is actually done haha:)

Literally!! It's my only regret with falling in love with bettas haha *wants another Betta = needs another tank*o_O:p
It's why I like my Betta Coccinas, 2 males in the same tank, spawning females and next to no violence beyond the occasional flare at feed times. Not as flashy as Splendens but stunning fish in their own right.

I can't wait to see pictures of your tank. Love the terrarium idea.

Literally!! It's my only regret with falling in love with bettas haha *wants another Betta = needs another tank*o_O:p
Know the feeling. If I could do it all again. I’d have only my 2 big goldfish tanks and then 2 dozen 5G betta tanks. Maybe an entire room of just bettas!

Elvis's current 75L vs. His possible 4ft. (Sorry the 4ft is still a bit in limbo and not properly cleaned yet!) Should have attached in OP. Talk about upgrade though!
20200121_135029.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back