4ft betta tank - equiptment and advice

Thereā€™s that word, again!

@Byron says that play sand is the best ā€œNon professionalā€ sand you can get. You may have just not been washing it correctly, hence it still being sandy.

This is a quote from Seriouslyfish.com ā€œCan be prone to infection of the barbels if kept in poorly maintained gravelā€

It is bad for them and itā€™s not just, ā€œFineā€!

Where to start? I wouldn't discard a canister filter because of age - if it works, it's tried and true and may continue to run fine for years. Failing that, I'm a fan of the Hagen (now Fluval) Aquaclear HOB design as it affords easy maintenance with custom media. Seachem's new Tidal is a close second, although I don't like the irregular sponge. I'd go with one or two AC70's or a single AC110 for that size tank. Sponge filters are great, but typically detract from a natural look.
------
As for a planted substrate, SAND. I use pool filter sand, although others report success with regular big box store play sand (e.g. sacrete). The beauty of a coarse sand is that rooted plants do well, but detritus doesn't get down under and with Malaysian Trumpet Snails, it is ... well ... maintenance free.
------
Paludariums are neat, but better suited to frogs and lizards than most fish. I don't think a beta would do well in one.
------
For lighting, I'd find a decent LED. I like my Finnex Planted Plus 24/7, but Beamswork (and others) have competitively priced LED lights.
------
I always cringe a little when I hear a hobbyist write about "minimal maintenance" and I get attitude when I see "low/no maintenance"!!!
Not counting daily feeding and observation, a tank like that will require about an hour or so a week to maintain. This involves a partial water change (about 50%), filter and glass cleaning (and sometimes gravel vacuuming).
If a person can't find an hour a week to maintain an aquarium, they're doing something wrong or shouldn't have any pets at all!
Thanks for your input. You seem very experienced. I corrected myself on saying 'low maintenance' to another who brought it up also and really don't intend on not doing maintenance.. at present I do 2 x 20% water changes in all my tanks with a gravel vac each week, of course I feed daily and I spend most of my time observing and doing maintenance on plants when needed when I'm home/in my spare time, so please don't assume that I'm doing this 4ft build because I am lazy or want to cease doing maintenance on this tank..? If anything I am simply doing this build to improve his life and give him the biggest tank that I can so that his life is enriched. My thread was asking for advice, and I appreciate all the great input and experience you have brought to the table. Noted and thank you for your equiptment suggestions! I have gone with sand substrate. And Yes, I too have decided against the paludarium idea for the same reason!

Edit: I will add that, although I do appreciate your knowledge and opinion, and as stated this is just an advice post - intended to be friendly. I must admit that you implying that by me saying low maintenance is an indication of my worthiness or ability to keep a fish as a pet is a bit rude. Again this was just the wrong wording as I have already stated and unfortunately has given the wrong impression of what I meant. Anyway I'm not one for conflict normally, especially over the internet. I'm not trying to be rude either but you do not need to be so assertive when someone is simply asking for advice.

Last edited:
Wow, some nice ideas going on here! I love the fact you want to give Elvis his own fishy mansion, lol. So with that said, hereā€™s yet another idea... divided tank for more bettas! Nothing changes as far as whatā€™s been suggested for your filtration and planting, but Iā€™ve seen these plexiglass dividers that you customize that you could use and keep more than one betta in the same tank. They are able to see each other so they are able to exercise their fins but not actually fight. If it gets too excessive you could make an opaque piece you can remove at will. Whatever you decide, I wish you the best of luck and Iā€™m thrilled for your and Elvisā€™s new adventure!
I did think about dividing the tank but I'm going to go with one undivided tank for now. They are pretty cool though! I've never made one before! Thanks so much, I'll be sure to post a photo once it is done!

Corry's are often raised in tanks with gravel and do just fine!
In this context you used the word ā€œfineā€ to describe how the Cory cats are doing.

Fine

Noun:
Very small particles found in mining, milling, etc.

Adverb: In a satisfactory or pleasing manner; very well.

You used the Adverb in your post, not the noun.

very small particles found in mining, milling, etc.Adverb: in a satisfactory or pleasing manner; very well.
You used the word

I did think about dividing the tank but I'm going to go with one undivided tank for now. They are pretty cool though! I've never made one before! Thanks so much, I'll be sure to post a photo once it is done!
Sorry for sort of highjacking your thread @BetterWithBettas . I just want to get this right.

As above in another reply, I'm going to go with sand as my substrate. I've not used sand before - will my nerite snails and mystery snails be okay with a sand substrate, I've heard that they can have trouble moving in it? Again I don't know if this is true from personal experience but what to double check .

As above in another reply, I'm going to go with sand as my substrate. I've not used sand before - will my nerite snails and mystery snails be okay with a sand substrate, I've heard that they can have trouble moving in it? Again I don't know if this is true from personal experience but what to double check .
I've not used sand before in a snail tank *

Nay, nay. You want a coarse sand to promote healthy root growth as fine sands pack and inhibit O2 infusion (and makes burrowing difficult for MTS). Also, my PFS is as tan as any sand, including play sands or natural gravel.
I've had PFS in my 60 gallon planted tank (see avitar) for 8+ years and Corries and MTS do well in it and my other community fish are just fine.
I use black diamond blasting sand medium grit, looks great is inert doesnt compact like play sand and all the fish and inverts have zero issues with it. Its also really good at anchoring plants.

My Nerite snails have no problems moving on my sand. Same with my MTS and BRH snails. Good. As said above, I suggest dark brown play sand. :)

This is my last post here, because Iā€™m not getting anywhere....again.

We need to provide the best for our fish, not just ā€œfineā€.

This is my last post here, because Iā€™m not getting anywhere....again.
We need to provide the best for our fish, not just ā€œfineā€.
You seem to be hung up on your interpretation of the word "FINE". My Cory's have lived the past 8+ years with a pool filter sand substrate. They are very healthy so I wrote that they were doing fine (e.g. very good!).
------
Pool filter sand is merely a bit more coarse than many play sands and screened more carefully to ensure a particle size that allows for good permeability (so it works well in sand filters). This makes it a great substrate as it allows good air and water movement as well as easier plant root growth and MTS burrowing than finer sand that may compact tightly. And because it's screened better, it's very 'clean' compared to some other sands. Finally, like any sand, much better than gravel as no waste or uneaten food gets down under. The plants and Malaysian Trumpet Snails do all the work - I haven't touched the 3-4" sand bed in the last 8 years.
----------------------
Note: Some hobbyists have been told they need to stir a sand substrate to prevent the formation of noxious gases. This is a mistake! The particle size of sand is so small that there is no detritus to get down under and decompose anaerobically and create unwanted (hydrogen sulfide) gases - UNLESS YOU STIR IT UNDER!
----------------------
As far as color, some feel it's too light, but the PFS I find locally is a very tan or sandy color much the same as natural gravel. It may be a shade lighter than some play sands or a shade darker than others.

Apologies to the OP for explaining 'fine' and sand, and the confusion regarding hobbyists seeking low/no maintenance aquariums.

My sand came in the mail but it won't fill the tank enough *sigh* Is mixing substrates okay? I have 4 bags of unopened substrate from past builds 2 ADA Africana Normal and 2 bags of UP-aqua sand. I am fully aware that they are different sizes and degrees of enrichment but I'm just asking if there are any drawbacks besides aesthetics of mixing different types of substrate? I can put it in so it is not touching the glass I.e. there is a border between the other substrate and cap it with sand so all you can see is sand.. if there is a reason other than asthetics that people generally don't do this then I will of course not do it.

Well the substrate police will probably not come so it's not a crime :)
Mixing sand with coarser gravel like material often finds it's own layering in time which may or may not matter aesthetically.
Just a heads up, I have heard that ADA substrate releases a lot of ammonia and requires numerous water changes before it's safe for fish.

Most reactions

Back