46 gal Planted Tank Stocking.

I would also like to say that the current list I have now is supposed to be understocked, so then if I see something at my LFS that I know for a fact is compatible with my fish I can get some.

Just be sure the rams are Bolivian rams, as german blue rams need much warmer temperatures than the pepper cories can handle.
And with rams, make sure they're a real bonded pair otherwise they may still kill each other.

Just be sure the rams are Bolivian rams, as german blue rams need much warmer temperatures than the pepper cories can handle.
And with rams, make sure they're a real bonded pair otherwise they may still kill each other.
I currently have what I believe to be a female Bolivian Ram. Are you saying that I should not just go out and get a male because they might kill each other?

I would also like to know if my tank is currently understocked and if so how many more fish I might be able to add, my LFS sometimes has some threadfins, and I want to get them, but I want my tank to mature at least 1 month before I introduce them.

I currently have what I believe to be a female Bolivian Ram. Are you saying that I should not just go out and get a male because they might kill each other?

I would also like to know if my tank is currently understocked and if so how many more fish I might be able to add, my LFS sometimes has some threadfins, and I want to get them, but I want my tank to mature at least 1 month before I introduce them.
Yes. Rams are very picky, and need to be bonded or they will kill each other. Unlike apistogramma or kribensis, this is a uncommon occurrence, and will not happen if you just put two fish in the tank.

If you are wanting a bonded pair, what i would do is before adding other fish since you got a ram already, go get a group of males. Let her pick, if she does. If she picks one great. Find homes or return the others. If she doesn't pair up, then rehome all the boys and either try a new batch or keep just the female ram as she is (she would be fine solo too)

If you are wanting a bonded pair, what i would do is before adding other fish since you got a ram already, go get a group of males. Let her pick, if she does. If she picks one great. Find homes or return the others. If she doesn't pair up, then rehome all the boys and either try a new batch or keep just the female ram as she is (she would be fine solo too)
Do this before purchasing any other fish. There will likely be aggression, which you will need to monitor. You will be able to tell when a pair is bonded by their behavior around other fish. They will stick together and most likely set up a large territory that they will defend. Once this happens rehome the other rams ASAP or a few may get bullied and harassed to death.

Do this before purchasing any other fish. There will likely be aggression, which you will need to monitor. You will be able to tell when a pair is bonded by their behavior around other fish. They will stick together and most likely set up a large territory that they will defend. Once this happens rehome the other rams ASAP or a few may get bullied and harassed to death.
Can I have the Snails and Pleco in the tank for this part?

Ok I think I have established a plan:
1) Find a mate for my Ram, if not oh well she is still beautiful
2) Introduce the Corydoras to monitor the Ram's behavior around other fish
3) Add the Rainbow about a week later
4) wait a month then get a small amount of other fish or same fish.

Can I have the Snails and Pleco in the tank for this part?

Ok I think I have established a plan:
1) Find a mate for my Ram, if not oh well she is still beautiful
2) Introduce the Corydoras to monitor the Ram's behavior around other fish
3) Add the Rainbow about a week later
4) wait a month then get a small amount of other fish or same fish.
Snails yes. Pleco probably not. All the other ones sound really good. I'd be very surprised if you have any real problems with the corydoras and rams. Good luck!

Snails yes. Pleco probably not. All the other ones sound really good. I'd be very surprised if you have any real problems with the corydoras and rams. Good luck!

Ok, so do you think that I could introduce the Pleco along with the Corys?

Now I have a question that needs to be as unbiased as possible, but for this size tank do you guys think I should keep goldfish (I have found myself attracted to fancy goldfish lately) or keep some tropical schooling fish in a planted tank

Now I have a question that needs to be as unbiased as possible, but for this size tank do you guys think I should keep goldfish (I have found myself attracted to fancy goldfish lately) or keep some tropical schooling fish in a planted tank
You could keep goldfish in a 46. I'd stick to 2 fancy goldies. Also only buy them if they fit your water parameters.
Schooling fish would work fine as well.
@Deanasue is the goldfish master.

You could keep goldfish in a 46. I'd stick to 2 fancy goldies. Also only buy them if they fit your water parameters.
Schooling fish would work fine as well.
@Deanasue is the goldfish master.
I am aware of this I have another thread about the goldfish in this tank topic, I was just wondering what would suit this tank better: 3 Fancy Goldfish or The stocking list I have created in this thread.

Well which would you enjoy having more?

Ive got a fancy lionhead ranchu cross and he is adorable and one of my favourite fish to watch, hes just so cute and happy go lucky.

You could happily fit 2 in the 46g no problems, perhaps with some white cloud mountain minnows as dither fish.

I think you'd find the goldfish very endearing and they win people over real fast.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back