46 gal Planted Tank Stocking.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Because of the pair of Rams, I don't think the rainbows would be best.
The Red Tails have defiantly entered my list.
The Scissortail is to big in my opinion.
Loaches donā€™t really compete for food, but I can see the issue here. If you were talking about Khuli or hillstream loaches, those are better than Botia loaches. Another fish or 2 Iā€™d recommend would be a halfbeak or killifish.

Loaches donā€™t really compete for food, but I can see the issue here. If you were talking about Khuli or hillstream loaches, those are better than Botia loaches. Another fish or 2 Iā€™d recommend would be a halfbeak or killifish.
I have some Khuli Loaches that I don't see often, and I can never seem to find hillstream loaches and shipping is to expensive for most online fish stores. I would assume the a pair of Killifish would compete with the rams, and the Halfbeak is to big, and I am really looking for a schooling fish at this point, I have figured every other fish species in my tank other that a nice mid column schooling fish.

Here is the current stocking list I have come up with. This is subject to change.

6 False Julii Corydoras
6 Leopard Longfin Danios
8 Congo Tetras

Last edited:
Congos will eat your plants, so be aware of this.

I will only have Java Fern Anubias and Java moss in the tank
But that is a prime example of why I said that the list might get changed.
I am on the ropes of Silvertip Tetras or Emperor Tetras over the Congo Tetras.
I have also been looking for fish that would fit the whole rocky cliff with scarce plants aquascape.

I think though they mayyy be okay with anubias, can't say for sure about the rest but might be worth a shot.

I would ditch the danios with them though. Maybe add a couple more congos to spread out any disputes among them.

Yeah I originally had 14 listed, but that took a big chunk out of my budget as they are 10$ each on Liveaquaria.

The reason why I added the danios any way is because since my tank is a tall tank, I needed something to swim in the top water Colum.

I was just wondering if it would be better to have 12 Pygmy Corydoras or have 6 of the False Julii Corydoras. Like if they will do the same things as each other.

In a 46 you could have wayyyyy more pygmies than just 12, in fact I'd go over 20. Theyre a bit shyer and do better in larger groups.

But downside is they're very small and you will probably not be able to do the congo tetras with them as the congos may actually eat them.

Yeah I think I am probably going to go with a different tetra, or other schooling fish. I am trying to go with the whole inch per gallon type rule, so...

Yeah I think I am probably going to go with a different tetra, or other schooling fish. I am trying to go with the whole inch per gallon type rule, so...
Its a flawed rule tbh. Its okay as a "general" guideline but tbh certain fish, having more around is better. Cories are one of them.

Id go with:

12-24 small tetras/rasboras OR 10-15 large tetras/rasboras (pick ONE species, or 6 individuals of 2 species)

20-25 pygmy cories OR 10-18 of the larger cories, dont mix pygmies with larger though. You could do more than this, but sounds like you want to keep fairly conservative, so ill stick with smaller numbers.

1-2 compatible "centerpiece" fish (optional)

Its a flawed rule tbh. Its okay as a "general" guideline but tbh certain fish, having more around is better. Cories are one of them.

Id go with:

12-24 small tetras/rasboras OR 10-15 large tetras/rasboras (pick ONE species, or 6 individuals of 2 species)

20-25 pygmy cories OR 10-18 of the larger cories, dont mix pygmies with larger though. You could do more than this, but sounds like you want to keep fairly conservative, so ill stick with smaller numbers.

1-2 compatible "centerpiece" fish (optional)
I think I have setled on this stocking Please tell me if it is understocked, overstocked, or just right.

6 Longfin Peppered Corydoras
12 Gertrudeā€™s Spotted Blue Eye Rainbowfish
1 Pair of Rams
1 Bristlenose Pleco
6 Nerite Snails
20 Black Diamond Shrimp

I think I have setled on this stocking Please tell me if it is understocked, overstocked, or just right.

6 Longfin Peppered Corydoras
12 Gertrudeā€™s Spotted Blue Eye Rainbowfish
1 Pair of Rams
1 Bristlenose Pleco
6 Nerite Snails
20 Black Diamond Shrimp
Those shrimp will be eaten by the rams, especially if its a breeding pair.

Those shrimp will be eaten by the rams, especially if its a breeding pair.

Ok, do you think that the 6 nertites along with the pleco are enough to keep up with the algae or should I get more snails, or what should I do?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back