3D background - foam and sealant question

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

OliveFish05

Fish Aficionado
Tank of the Month šŸ†
Reaction score
Hey all, Iā€™ve got a couple questions about an aquascaping project Iā€™m working on. Iā€™d like to make a 3D background for my male axolotl, Kirbyā€™s, tank and had a few questions!

What spray foams are fish safe? The pond specific ones range $12-$24 per can, Iā€™d like to keep it under $5 if possible. Any indicators to look for? Anything to be wary of?

My tank measures 30 inches long, 21 inches tall, and the background will probably be fairly thick toward the top. Is there any way to estimate how many cans I will need?

I plan to paint detailing on the background with non toxic acrylic and would like to seal it. Is clear spray flex seal safe? Can I just paint over it with some silicone? Would epoxy resin be an option?

Thanks!

Iā€™m sorry Iā€™m not much help for most of those questions. I use the pond foam and found that itā€™s kind of messy stuff to work with. Protect your skin and clothes and items you donā€™t want it on. For many things removing after it dries is easier and, until then, trying to remove it just makes it worse. I know you didnā€™t ask this but I wished I knew this when I started. I felt the biggest limiting factor to how much I needed was how quickly the foam dries inside the spray nozzles. There are directions to prevent this and cut off the tip to use it again but I didnā€™t have much luck with that. I donā€™t remember how well I followed directions or how long it actually took to dry. Maybe up to 30 minutes to clog the spray tube? So, be ready to spray as much as you can once you start using it. It may not stick to the glass so well at first so you may want to start from the bottom and work your way up, just get something stuck on there, even if most of the glob falls off, knowing after whatā€™s left behind gets a little tacky in a few minutes it will stick a little better and you can add more. A plastic scraper will get unwanted accidents off the glass bottom later. Wear disposable gloves so you can manipulate it if you want. You may want spares handy. Itā€™s not good on your skin and very hard to remove, even worse on clothes. Minimize the vapors you breath. Itā€™s toxic until it dries. Hope that helps!

Hey all, Iā€™ve got a couple questions about an aquascaping project Iā€™m working on. Iā€™d like to make a 3D background for my male axolotl, Kirbyā€™s, tank and had a few questions!

What spray foams are fish safe? The pond specific ones range $12-$24 per can, Iā€™d like to keep it under $5 if possible. Any indicators to look for? Anything to be wary of?

My tank measures 30 inches long, 21 inches tall, and the background will probably be fairly thick toward the top. Is there any way to estimate how many cans I will need?

I plan to paint detailing on the background with non toxic acrylic and would like to seal it. Is clear spray flex seal safe? Can I just paint over it with some silicone? Would epoxy resin be an option?

Thanks!
I've never seen any foam sprays that are aquarium safe for $5...

My estimate would be 3 cans, but remember, it does expand quite a bit.

I think I've heard that flex seal is non-toxic WHEN CURED, but that may only be for SOME of their products, so I can't be too sure...

Also, WELCOME BAAAACK! It's so nice to see you back on again Olive!

Iā€™m sorry Iā€™m not much help for most of those questions. I use the pond foam and found that itā€™s kind of messy stuff to work with. Protect your skin and clothes and items you donā€™t want it on. For many things removing after it dries is easier and, until then, trying to remove it just makes it worse. I know you didnā€™t ask this but I wished I knew this when I started. I felt the biggest limiting factor to how much I needed was how quickly the foam dries inside the spray nozzles. There are directions to prevent this and cut off the tip to use it again but I didnā€™t have much luck with that. I donā€™t remember how well I followed directions or how long it actually took to dry. Maybe up to 30 minutes to clog the spray tube? So, be ready to spray as much as you can once you start using it. It may not stick to the glass so well at first so you may want to start from the bottom and work your way up, just get something stuck on there, even if most of the glob falls off, knowing after whatā€™s left behind gets a little tacky in a few minutes it will stick a little better and you can add more. A plastic scraper will get unwanted accidents off the glass bottom later. Wear disposable gloves so you can manipulate it if you want. You may want spares handy. Itā€™s not good on your skin and very hard to remove, even worse on clothes. Minimize the vapors you breath. Itā€™s toxic until it dries. Hope that helps!
Thanks so much! That is very good to know!

I think I've heard that flex seal is non-toxic WHEN CURED, but that may only be for SOME of their products, so I can't be too sure...

Iā€™ve definitely never seen one that price advertised as fish or pond safe, but I know with silicone a lot of the ones that arenā€™t necessarily intended for fish projects are safe, so I wasnā€™t sure! Three cans would be ideal, I was mentally preparing for 8-12 if necessaryšŸ˜…
Thank youuuuu itā€™s been a while!!!

Iā€™ve definitely never seen one that price advertised as fish or pond safe, but I know with silicone a lot of the ones that arenā€™t necessarily intended for fish projects are safe, so I wasnā€™t sure!
This is the stuff I know of, but it's not $5 LOL. It's completely safe for aquarium/terrarium use though.
Yah, most expanding foams aren't at all meant for use in water really. Even though it may say "wager resistant", it's not water PROOF... Even then, it's good to do some research lol.
Three cans would be ideal, I was mentally preparing for 8-12 if necessaryšŸ˜…
Oh jeez šŸ˜†
Yah, I don't think you'd need 8 or 12 šŸ˜‚
Thank youuuuu itā€™s been a while!!!
Yah, definitely! I was wondering how you were sense I hadn't seen you on for a while, so I'm glad to see you back on

This is the stuff I know of, but it's not $5 LOL. It's completely safe for aquarium/terrarium use though.
Yah, most expanding foams aren't at all meant for use in water really. Even though it may say "wager resistant", it's not water PROOF... Even then, it's good to do some research lol.

Oh jeez šŸ˜†
Yah, I don't think you'd need 8 or 12 šŸ˜‚

Yah, definitely! I was wondering how you were sense I hadn't seen you on for a while, so I'm glad to see you back on
That link came out really bad šŸ˜‚

3 sounds right. Might get lucky with 2 and get to return one, or not.

Ok, thanks for the help so far! If it is sealed, does the type of foam even matter?

Hello! Great to see you back šŸ˜ would love to see you make a thread when you start this project, keep us updated šŸ‘šŸ»

Ok, thanks for the help so far! If it is sealed, does the type of foam even matter?
If it was me I would play it safe because accidents happen, tools drop and then that beautiful piece of work is leaving toxins and has to be thrown out.
Hello! Great to see you back šŸ˜ would love to see you make a thread when you start this project, keep us updated šŸ‘šŸ»
Yes please! I would love to see the process. Welcome back and nice to ā€œmeetā€ you.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back