330 gallon build stocking suggestions

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Cornkeeper

Reaction score
Hello all....Im in the process of building my own 330 gal acrylic tank (95"long x30" tall x 27"deep) and am wanting suggestions for breeding pair or pairs of decent size fish.....I live near "That Pet Place" in Lancaster PA which has a very large selection of species...I know I DON'T want convicts, JD's or Oscars or anything that is common to normal fish stores...I am considering peacock bass, just for their beauty but have never kept them before and don't know much about them....Anyone have any suggestions?....I'm not new to fish keeping, but its been about 10 years since I had my 2 90 gallons were up and running and just want some solid advice.....Thanks

hope you're putting that on a concrete slab, maybe in basement. Gonna be big and heavy....over 2700 lbs.

Yeah....definitely heavy....its gonna be on a concrete floor in the basement....Im a machinist, so the base is gonna be overbuilt....using 3/4" acrylic for the tank....been saving big scrap pieces for awhile, finally started routing out the pieces for the base and walls.....tossing around the idea for a DIY sump for it

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

If you want to breed fish, get species that sell. Peacock bass do not sell readily and you can end up with thousands of young fish and have to kill them all. Angelfish sell and you can produce thousands and unload all of them. You could breed discus although they are not big sellers either.

If you want to breed unusual fish then Acarichthys heckelii and some of the Geophagus species might be worth looking at. Or possibly freshwater stingrays, again tho, not huge sellers, but they sell more readily than peacock bass.

Rainbowfish are easy to breed and you can sell a few of them. There's more info on rainbowfish at the following link.
http://rainbowfish.angfaqld.org.au/Melano.htm

You might also reduce the height of the tank so it's easier to get in and clean and to catch baby fish out.

Most reactions

trending

Back