30L with Betta and three Cory's - looking to add shrimp?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Riv21

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've had my Betta and three Cory's co-existing for the last 3 or so months now and they are doing pretty well. Quite recently, i've been seeing a lot of youtube videos with Red Cherry Shrimps.

So, my question for you guys is would you recommened adding some shrimps to my 30L tank? or do you reckon it's already too crowded?

Thanks in advance!

I definitely was thinking about adding another two cory's but then thought about potentially overcrowding the tank and figured shrimp are small and maybe be a better choice?

It's hit and miss with shrimps. Some bettas ignore them, others eat them.

You really need more than 3 cories. The three dwarf species, the ones suitable for a tank this size, do better with at least 10.

It's hit and miss with shrimps. Some bettas ignore them, others eat them.

You really need more than 3 cories. The three dwarf species, the ones suitable for a tank this size, do better with at least 10.
Even the dwarfspecies aren't great for a 30 litre in my opinion. They are quite sensitive for easily changing waterparameters in such a tankvolume

I wouldn't keep any cories in 30 litres either, but the OP already has three of some species.

Yes, that is so often the dilemma. Existing fish are already there when the question is asked, so does one remove them (which is unquestionably the best resolution), or does one add more to satisfy the expectations of the poor fish but risk this or that. Or leave things as they are.

I'm sure poor advice from stores are at the bottom of most of these issues. Resolving them as I say is not always an easy road.

Before buying the bronze corys, I did look at the dwarf species in the store but they were a bit pricey in my opinion ($25 Each!). I did ask for advice prior to purchasing the bronze corys and the staff told me it would be, quote, "perfect" for the size I have.

The three corys in my tank are all very active and they seem to chill together or venture by themselves throughout the day.

I do eventually want to up-size but due to my circumstances, 30L is what I can get away with for now (better than what I had previously 😬).

Last edited:
I'd stick to the three for the tine being and get more after getting a bigger tank.

Bronze are less sensitive / hardier than the dwarfs so I'd rather keep those in smaller numbers than swap them for dwarfs in this sized tank.

the staff told me it would be, quote, "perfect" for the size I have.
One of the most important lessons in fish keeping is - never believe anything a fish store workers tells you. There are some knowledgeable ones, but most haven't a clue. Always research before buying, even if that means stepping to one side in a store for a moment while you look the fish up on your phone.
Websites to use:
Seriously Fish
Planet catfish
Loaches on-line
Corydoras world (you need to be a member to use this site)
This site for rainbowfish

One of the most important lessons in fish keeping is - never believe anything a fish store workers tells you. There are some knowledgeable ones, but most haven't a clue. Always research before buying, even if that means stepping to one side in a store for a moment while you look the fish up on your phone.
Websites to use:
Seriously Fish
Planet catfish
Loaches on-line
Corydoras world (you need to be a member to use this site)
This site for rainbowfish
I will definitely keep this in mind from here on out!

Definitely appreciate the resources you've provided. I think from here, I'll defs just keep what I have now and purchase more fish when I'm able to get a bigger tank!

Most reactions

trending

Back