29 gallon Betta tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

FishNturt808

Fish Crazy
2x Fish of the Month šŸŒŸ
Reaction score
Well gang, the time has come to upgrade Bernieā€™s (my betta) 10 gallon tank to a 29 gallon. Iā€™ve been trying to take pics as I go.

To start I have larger river rocks as the base and infrastructure layer. To fill the gaps between those I have pea gravel (as you can see in the empty ā€˜riverā€™ space in the center.) I then capped that with a healthy layer of fluval stratum. The black rock feature in the corner there is my sandfall.
B6EDB190-A756-43B9-9C4C-120EC7D7CF4C.jpeg

From here I put the white sand running thru the center ā€˜riverā€™

EBB39C11-F17F-4864-93CC-4F3066098F81.jpeg

I also spread a seed to hopefully grow a carpet across the stratum layer. The seed was labeled as ā€˜pearl weedā€™, but itā€™s been spread for about 2 weeks now with no results. So who knows if it will actually grow. Iā€™ll deal with that issue at another time.

Next step was to place the rockscape. For that Iā€™m using black seiyru stone.
62E4E839-0FF2-4F91-9D14-AD6D99190A1C.jpeg

Then I filled it with water. Going to shop for plants this morning when the pet store opens.
So for now, thatā€™s my progress on this tank. Iā€™m very excited about this one.

Love it! He is gonna be one happy betta boy :)

Ok, added a few plants to the existing Java fern, anubias (nana I think), rotala roundifolia (could be indica, I think thatā€™s what the tag said, Iā€™m not good at the differences), dwarf sagitarus, and a few frogbit floaters. I picked up some hygrophila salicifolia, Ludwigia palustris, ā€˜lucky bambooā€™, and one unknown pinkish green stem plant.

Attachments

• 03C38C04-05C9-4141-B65D-05F2AEB4571E.jpeg
    03C38C04-05C9-4141-B65D-05F2AEB4571E.jpeg
    275.7 KB · Views: 79
  • 7AFCFEFB-D00E-421E-9396-42A300BAE286.jpeg
    7AFCFEFB-D00E-421E-9396-42A300BAE286.jpeg
    245.8 KB · Views: 62
  • AAA5AF5D-108D-49DC-A9C8-D5AEA82985EA.jpeg
    AAA5AF5D-108D-49DC-A9C8-D5AEA82985EA.jpeg
    270.9 KB · Views: 74
  • 4984BDA2-0B68-4667-9206-A3C5994FFD54.jpeg
    4984BDA2-0B68-4667-9206-A3C5994FFD54.jpeg
    403.3 KB · Views: 77
Love it! Keep updating us!

Swapped the sponge filter and hob filter over ran it for a few hours then put the fish in.

Attachments

• 446A46C3-4A38-4448-8643-39F146AD99D2.jpeg
    446A46C3-4A38-4448-8643-39F146AD99D2.jpeg
    364.1 KB · Views: 63
  • D5E64657-5EF3-444F-9DCE-A3CF7D0E7F65.jpeg
    D5E64657-5EF3-444F-9DCE-A3CF7D0E7F65.jpeg
    347.3 KB · Views: 72
  • 69820245-3A85-4A8D-B034-854F7A39494E.jpeg
    69820245-3A85-4A8D-B034-854F7A39494E.jpeg
    288.7 KB · Views: 65
There's not enough plants in the tank to warrant adding CO2 to it.

Thereā€™s seeds in the substrate for a carpet. That are finally starting to sprout. So theoretically, itā€™s gonna have plants covering the whole black section of the substrate.
When is ā€˜enoughā€™ plants to justify co2? Isnā€™t co2 used to boost plant growth? Therefore the addition of it would increase the amount of plants, not only thru the growth(horizontal and vertical), but then thru trimming and replanting as well?
Iā€™m basically trying to get everywhere the plants are to be all plant, if you know what I mean? I just didnā€™t want to stack the initial plants right on top of each other, as to give them space to fill in. I guess thatā€™s my terrestrial plant experience crossing into the aquarium thought process.
There's not enough plants in the tank to warrant adding CO2 to it.

Aquariums are a constant source of carbon dioxide (CO2). It comes from the fish and filter bacteria and is produced 24 hours a day, 7 days a weeks. If you minimise aeration during the day, then more CO2 will remain in the water for the plants. Then have an air pump come on at night to keep the oxygen levels up so the fish don't suffocate. The plants only use CO2 when they get sufficient light so don't use it at night when it's dark.

There is also CO2 in the atmosphere, way more than there should be. And it gets into the water through the water surface and by air pumps pumping air into the tank.

If you have lots of light on the tank and the plants are pearling (producing little bubbles from their leaves), and you have lots of nutrients in the water, then you can add CO2 if you like. But as a general rule, you don't need to add CO2 to an aquarium that has a reasonable number of fish in because the fish, rotting waste and filter bacteria all produce CO2 that the plants can use.

I understand the fish waste and such produces co2, I only have 11 harlequin rasbora, 1 betta, and 1 bristlenose in the tank. Is that a ā€˜reasonableā€™ number?
I just see these aquascaped tanks that run co2 and I want mine to look like those.

Also, @Colin_T, thank you for your input. I am looking for all the info I can on the co2, seeing as itā€™s a hefty investment.

I just see these aquascaped tanks that run co2 and I want mine to look like those.
Most of those tanks are stages and set up for filming, then taken apart. Some aren't but many are. A lot of them also cater to the plants and only have a few small fish in them. They are basically aquatic gardens with a group of small fish added to provide movement.

I only have 11 harlequin rasbora, 1 betta, and 1 bristlenose in the tank. Is that a ā€˜reasonableā€™ number?
For a 29g tank it is. You could possibly add another bristlenose and breed them in the tank. Find out what sex your current one is and buy it a partner. You can sell the baby bristlenose and put the money towards a bigger tank or a CO2 unit if you want one. But try growing them without CO2 first and see how they do. You might find they do well as is.

Most of those tanks are stages and set up for filming, then taken apart. Some aren't but many are. A lot of them also cater to the plants and only have a few small fish in them. They are basically aquatic gardens with a group of small fish added to provide movement.

For a 29g tank it is. You could possibly add another bristlenose and breed them in the tank. Find out what sex your current one is and buy it a partner. You can sell the baby bristlenose and put the money towards a bigger tank or a CO2 unit if you want one. But try growing them without CO2 first and see how they do. You might find they do well as is.

Oh, I have 5 ā€˜bigā€™ tanks. This 29 is my ā€˜smallā€™ one. At least thatā€™s what I told my girlfriend when I was convincing her itā€™s ok to set up. I have a breeding pair of bristlenose in one of my 55ā€™s. So Iā€™m happy with that. If any additions are made itā€™s just gonna be a little colony of blue neocardinia shrimps.

For now itā€™s just focusing on getting the plants growing as good as they possibly can.

Well gang, the time has come to upgrade Bernieā€™s (my betta) 10 gallon tank to a 29 gallon. Iā€™ve been trying to take pics as I go.

To start I have larger river rocks as the base and infrastructure layer. To fill the gaps between those I have pea gravel (as you can see in the empty ā€˜riverā€™ space in the center.) I then capped that with a healthy layer of fluval stratum. The black rock feature in the corner there is my sandfall.
View attachment 151493

From here I put the white sand running thru the center ā€˜riverā€™

View attachment 151494

I also spread a seed to hopefully grow a carpet across the stratum layer. The seed was labeled as ā€˜pearl weedā€™, but itā€™s been spread for about 2 weeks now with no results. So who knows if it will actually grow. Iā€™ll deal with that issue at another time.

Next step was to place the rockscape. For that Iā€™m using black seiyru stone.
View attachment 151495

Then I filled it with water. Going to shop for plants this morning when the pet store opens.
So for now, thatā€™s my progress on this tank. Iā€™m very excited about this one.

027B0900-B2D0-4725-8486-277F9C89660B.jpeg

Alright, here we are, one month in. I just added a co2 system yesterday (when I took this pic). The ā€˜carpetā€™ seeds never ended up growing. So Iā€™m sure that will be some kind of issue in the future. I was able to get my hands on some pearlweed, so that is the clumps of green you see in the foreground. Itā€™s all coming together real nice. Definitely getting growth. Had to trim a couple stems. Adding the co2 and during peak light (tank gets about an half hour or so of sun) and I get pearling from every plant in there. Loving it.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back