24L Nano Reef Tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

jujubee7

Reaction score
hey
i'm looking to buy a 24L nano tank with a filter hanging on the back of it with a led light thingy.
well i have a fluval roma 90 fresh water tank but hence getting a nano tank i want to go marine 
59.gif

but im confused as what i have seen on youtube. someone help me with what i need to start up a nano reef tank.
and do i need a protein skimmer or not i just want to keep 2 clown fish and some coral and would it be costly?

please help me 
love juju x x x
wub.png

Hi Juju, I find I best tell you here instead of emails as it means a lot of others are open to put there input in!

First thing I must tell you is Marine is a very very very costly hobby and it takes a lot of time and effort to run one.

Nano marines are one of the hardest tank sizes to deal with as well. Where in tropical if you do something wrong there isn't a big impact but since marine needs everything to be prefect, one wrong move and you could kill your tank straight off.

So I must adivse you that there's a lot of effort that goes into these, Are you prepared to deal with ? :p

THAT SAID

That size of nano is too small to keep clown fish, They get quite big.

You'd need live rock, Live sand, Powerhead and protein skimmer to run a nano. You're filter is your live rock, It cycles the tanks.

So, With that. Are you still interested ?

ive been thinking about marine fish for a while. and i know about the costs and i have spent alot on the tank i have now and spent 100s on planting that did not last till i got liquid carbon. but i know the difference and willing to go with it. thing is i cant go too big as i live at home and my mum will throw a hissy fit lol. but for a 26L  what could i keep or if i go up to a 30L would it be ideal 

A few crabs or maybe a cleaner shrimp, Corals are very hard to care for and so are fish.

Has tank is quite overstocked I'd say, You should only really keep hermits crabs or a cleaner shrimp. Some easy things in a nano. 

Those are corals that are on the live rock, They don't come with it but they attach themselfs onto the rock over time.

I hope you also understand you can not use tap water for marine.

i know about the water and everything as i researched it all. i just want 2-3 live rock but the soft coral that he has is it a risk taking as the whole point for me is the beauty of marine tanks.i like the hermit crabs they are sooo cute. and what should i go for 24L or 34L

and 16L is no good for just live stone?

jujubee7 said:
i know about the water and everything as i researched it all. i just want 2-3 live rock but the soft coral that he has is it a risk taking as the whole point for me is the beauty of marine tanks.i like the hermit crabs they are sooo cute. and what should i go for 24L or 34L

and 16L is no good for just live stone?

If your heart is set on going marine then I can't stop ya :p

I'd look at getting a marine light, You need really good lighting for corals.

Get around 2-3KG of live rock and also get live sand.

Once you get your RO water, Make sure to mix it with salt. Throw in the live sand, rock and water and let your marine tank cycle.

Since 34 liters is approximately 8 gallons, you are not going to really have fun. This is considered a pico, which are even more difficult to care for than nanos. You will need to change around half the water 1 to 2 times a week, and these tanks can be extremely unstable. Would it be possible to get at least a 20gal tank? This would be much easier. If you must go with 8 gallons, once the tank is mature you could get away with a single clown goby, the green ones are cute. Once again i recommend getting something larger, 20 gallons would allow for you to keep your clownfish. And i cannot stress this enough, DO NOT GET AN ANEMONE. They are very difficult to care for, require high lighting, and perfect water quality. Not to mention they can kill every coral in you tank if they decide to wander.

Cfc

i need to start of small  as i have a fluval roma 90 but that is a tropical tank. ive seen so really good nano tanks on youtube so thats where im getting confused. i think i need to go to our local garden centre that stock marine fish and get the full low down. i still want to stay small (uk gallon) 

what about soft coral?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back