22 Litre Nano Tank Surprise For 21St!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

fishmad135

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hey Guys, 

So yesterday my mum surprised me with a 22 litre nano tank from AquaOne for my 21st birthday yesterday! I've decided I'm going to set it up as a planted tank for my siamese fighter to live in (using media from his only tank etc)! I'm going out today to buy some plants, i'll post some pictures when I get home!! 

What plants would you suggest for a tank this size?

Also, in a tank of this size (I know rather small..) could I get any other inhabitants for him? If so, what would you suggest? I'd have liked to get a small shoal of habrosus corydoras, however, I'm guessing there won't be enough room for this pygmy species.. 

Thanks, 
Imogen

A new betta home is a great idea, when I saw the title of the thread I was going to suggest that but you were way ahead of me :)

I have silk plants in with my betta and a couple of moss balls.  I used to have Panda cories and red cherry shrimp in with him but he eventually got stroppy with the cories.

I'd avoid putting any other fish in with him but shrimp and snails are definitely a viable choice.

I'd test him with one or two ghost shrimp first, then maybe an amano and if the water's not too acidic a nerite snail should finish up the stocking nicely.

Far_king, what is the reason for the moss balls in with the betta, does it add some value? Sorry for the hijack, i have 2 betta tanks and never thought about moss balls.
Richard.

I initially put them in for the red cherry shrimp I had in there. They'll help soak up any ammonia and rather than having planted live plants I decided to give moss balls a try.  The substrate was only a thin layer of sand so plants would struggle to establish.  I prefer the silk plants in his tank and he seems to like them well enough too judging by the time he spends loafing on the leaves :)

there should be no problem with nerite snails and soft water. I have two zebra nerites in my tank and my pH is only 6.5 - really acidic - and the snails are fine. I had issues with apple snails and nasty shells but not had this issue at all with the nerites and I've had them for 2 years +

As for plants have you looked at the Anubias you can get that's the dwarf variety? Is it called nana? (not certain, maybe someone else can confirm?) I have some of that and it stay small and looks really cute

Yeah I think it's Anubias barteri var. nana. That's what mine was supposed to be but I got given the wrong one. Hey ho I like it :)

Edit: lucky you getting a tank for your birthday!

Hey guys!!
I want to a few local aquatic shops, however, non of the plants took my fancy and if they did they weren't in good enough condition to be worth buying.. so instead i had to steal plants from tanks I already had set up! Heres some of the plants I've stolen so far!
wahey.gif
  I'd really like to make it bushy and wild!!! Going to get some christmas tree moss and some small twiggy red moor branches and really try to get it looking like a jungle!! Idris (le betta) is going to love his upgrade.. I hope 
biggrin.png

84158F42-2ECA-40E8-A6D4-DB6DC714DA30_zps0y4g229c.jpg

What do you guys think?
laugh.png

Looking good.

A note, habrousus cories, despite being one of the smallest cories around, would not be suitable for this tank. Remember you need a group of at least 6 to keep them happier so therefore the footprint of this tank is far too small. Imho these cories should go in a 10 gallon tank at very least.

I have one of these aquaone 22l tanks, its actually a prety good, well built tank in my opinion. The best thing is the filtration compartments at the back with heater which is hidden from main tank area,  which makes for a very neat and clean tank, very aesthetically pleasing imho.

Perfect for a betta and snails, could get away with some shrimps of choice if the betta's temperament allows.

One more note, the cover for these aquaones does not quite fully cover the edges of the tank, theres a gap of around 5 - 8mm wide all along the edges, unless this design has been changed, these edges are wide enough for a betta to jump out of
confused.gif

Looking good! I like the pebbles mixed in with the substrate. Is it sand or fine gravel? I like it.

Ahh well you've saved yourself some money stealing plants you already have, I spy an anubia too :D I'm sure he'll like it.

Ch4rlie said:
Looking good.

A note, habrousus cories, despite being one of the smallest cories around, would not be suitable for this tank. Remember you need a group of at least 6 to keep them happier so therefore the footprint of this tank is far too small. Imho these cories should go in a 10 gallon tank at very least.

I have one of these aquaone 22l tanks, its actually a prety good, well built tank in my opinion. The best thing is the filtration comparts at the back with heater which is hidden from main tank area,  which makes for a very neat and clean tank, very aesthetically pleasing imho.

Perfect for a betta and snails, could get away with some shrimps of choice if the betta's temperament allows.

One more note, the cover for these aquaones does not quite fully cover the edges of the tank, theres a gap of around 5 - 8mm wide all along the edges, unless this design has been changed, these edges are wide enough for a betta to jump out of
confused.gif

Thanks Ch4rlie!

I thought it'd be too small for habrousus, always good to get other peoples thoughts though, like yourself! I'll probably either get some snails or just leave him as he is and just plant the tank out more! 

It seems they've made a new lid attachment.. the glass lid now has a plastic lip running round the edge of it fully covering the tank! Lucky me eh, no escaping Idris!

cheers
biggrin.png

Flubberlump said:
Looking good! I like the pebbles mixed in with the substrate. Is it sand or fine gravel? I like it.

Ahh well you've saved yourself some money stealing plants you already have, I spy an anubia too
biggrin.png
I'm sure he'll like it.

Thank Flubberlump, I'm glad you like it!! Its actually black sand! And I know, I wanted to splash out and get something snazzy, however, nothing beats plants you know aren't covered in snail eggs or algae! 

I have black sand but yours looks much darker than mine. I have quite bright lighting though so maybe that's why.

You're right about the snails and algae! I somehow ended up with some pond snails. I always wash the plants but I must have missed some eggs or something :/ haven't ended up with too many though, at least they weren't MTS!

When will Idris be moving in?

fishmad135 said:
Thanks Ch4rlie!

I thought it'd be too small for habrousus, always good to get other peoples thoughts though, like yourself! I'll probably either get some snails or just leave him as he is and just plant the tank out more! 

It seems they've made a new lid attachment.. the glass lid now has a plastic lip running round the edge of it fully covering the tank! Lucky me eh, no escaping Idris!

cheers
biggrin.png

Perfect! :)

I am actually glad they redesigned the lid for this neat little tank as I have heard a couple of keepers losing their fish due the gap that was on previous lid.

Nice one!

Flubberlump said:
I have black sand but yours looks much darker than mine. I have quite bright lighting though so maybe that's why.

You're right about the snails and algae! I somehow ended up with some pond snails. I always wash the plants but I must have missed some eggs or something
confused.gif
haven't ended up with too many though, at least they weren't MTS!

When will Idris be moving in?

Yeah, that could possibly be it!! I love black sand, it makes everything pop in contrast! Especially the greens of the leaves! 

Ahh thats unlucky, I'm glad you didn't get too many snails - they're such a faff to get rid of! Im lucky enough to have a pond in the backyard so i just collect them in a cup and send them outdoors!
whistling.gif

F42F97B0-F415-4FD6-BE4F-E1A24A4BC318.png_zpsgszwe6b1.jpeg

This is Idris! He'll be moving in very soon as the tank water is from one of my community tanks and filter media is from some of his own filter and some stolen from my community and sorority tanks 
wahey.gif
 just make sure there no leaks/problems with the new filters /water chemistry etc and he'll be in!

Akasha72 said:
looks lovely. I like what you've done with it
biggrin.png

Thanks Akasha! Its not finished yet though.. Watch this space 
wink.png

Ch4rlie said:

Thanks Ch4rlie!

cheers
biggrin.png

Perfect!
smile.png

I am actually glad they redesigned the lid for this neat little tank as I have heard a couple of keepers losing their fish due the gap that was on previous lid.

Nice one!

Yeah, seems long overdue IMO! Ive lost a few guppies in the past for the same reason, very frustrating!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back