200g

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

CAC

Formerly: Catfish Are Cool
Reaction score
If I set-up the 200g, I was wondering what people think about keeping some of the smaller species of stingrays in a tank thats 60x32x24".
The species I am considering are yepzi and orbiginyi. This thread is kinda aimed at CFC and Paul_MTS most of all, because I know both of them have kept rays in tanks of arround the same size as mine. Do you think that this size is suitable to house a ray upto about 16" (allthough after reading some articals, and fishbase entrys it would appear that atleast orbiginyis should stay arround 12" or so, allthough I do belive they will get bigger than that...Did you find your rays happy in this kind of size tank (CFC I know your upgrading, but at 16" or so do you think your orby would have been ok in that tank?).

Thanks, Mike

A 5 foot long 30 inch wide tank is perfectly adequate for any ray with a disc under 18 inches in my opinion, when my bigger tank is ready and i have moved the motoros out of the 200g the orbygini will be going into the 200 and i will be adding another female and a male to join her (and possibly Marks yepezi if it isnt big enough to play with the big boys yet) where unless they grow dramatically they will stay indeffinately.

Only when i had the big motoro in the tank did i feel it was a little too small and she had a 20" disc.

I would go with a retic or yepezi. I didnt read your thread properly the other day and was reaidng that the tank was only 24" wide sorry for telling you not to house any. A pair of retics or yepezi would look good and if you can find them hystrix or scobina but most hystrix turn out to be something else.

No problem mark, soory for any confusion :good:
Ok thats great news CFC, sounds like I should be fine with most species then...(I am going to change some info in the stingray guide, I put for 16" rays for a 6 foot long tank and 32" wide, ill change it now, wouldnt want to look like a hypocrite when I add rays to a smaller tank than on the thread :lol: )
Once I get confrimation of the filtration and heating side of things, aswell as the stand, then ill get someone to have a look at the floor and then get the tank commissioned.
Oh and fellas, you wont belive what I plan to keep on the top (well, you probably would, its just abit of an odd choice...) :lol:

Thanks, Mike

Well, the plan is to try and have a few freshwater archers for the top...Toxotes microlepsis. Its abit experimental really, just because their size may not work out, but I dont fancy any broken jaws from nervy species like needlefish or those red tailed chalacus (sp?) and I dont think an aro would fit in (obv not the silvers, but I doubt even asians would TBH). Because its a fish that will be only like, 6" tops, I may be stuck with smaller fish for the middle but id rather do that than have nothing for the top...What do you think?

im glad your gonna be able to keep rays mate :good:
most places will say a asian arowana needs 6x2x2 but because your tank has a lot of extra width to make up for the shorter lengh it could be ok :unsure:
post that question on the big fish forum and get a better idea

see mike you could get a rtg like paul :good:
dont get a green or 1.5 red they are plain in comparrison

Ok cool, maybe ill try an aro but after setting up the aquarium with some fish I wont have enough (esp for an RGT), might have to wait til january or something. Not entirly sure which way round ill do it, add rays 1st or after some cats and the aro? Probs best to add them seccond so its more mature.

Mike

EDIT: Can someone reply to my thread in the hardware section on filters please.

Most reactions

trending

Back