20 long rescape

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

So I thought I wouldnā€™t be a shrimp guy.

turns out I love them. Theyā€™re pretty peaceful to watch.

I wanted to get a little diversity going in the tank, so between the cories, tetras, shrimp and snails, thereā€™s always someone out and about.

everyone has a place to hide, lots of swimming space. I was thinking about adding even more plants, but pumped the breaks on that. Maybe on or two more corkscrew vals to even it out, but I think Iā€™m going to wait for my crypts and wisteria to grow in. Wisteria because I hacked it to pieces and spread it out. That may have been a mistake.

So next journal entry.

Lost two shrimp yesterday.

One of the shrimps was laying on its side, dead.

the other one managed to escape the tank and was on the floor.

I know theyā€™ll only usually escape when they donā€™t like the water parameters, it Iā€™ve been keen on keeping them right in the range of what they like, according to most guides Iā€™ve read. My temperature would be on the high side of what they enjoy, but Iā€™ve turned the thermostat on my heater down to the point it isnā€™t even turning on, itā€™s basically running at the temperature of the room.

there is one thing I missed in my research, apparently amano shrimp are very sensitive to changes in water parameters, which would put my acclimation process well short of what Iā€™ve seen many suggest (1.5-2.5 hours) and I was more on the .5 hour drip acclimation.

the other shrimp are still pretty shy, but will come out for a bite of a wafer, and Iā€™ve done 2 water changes around 10% back to back days, just to clean substrate and freshen up the water a bit.

im doing small water changes right now to slowly bring down my gh as Iā€™m mixing tap and RO water.

so Iā€™m thinking two dead shrimp is probably the result of my haste and not acclimating long enough. 2 shrimp dead in <48 hours would leave me to believe its user error.

lesson learned, just because many sources say ā€œhardyā€ or ā€œeasy to keepā€, you need to pay attention to the details.

What species of shrimp did you get?

I agree, they are fun to watch.

Lost two shrimp yesterday.

One of the shrimps was laying on its side, dead.

the other one managed to escape the tank and was on the floor.
Shrimp regularly panic jump at night when they are first introduced into a new aquarium. Basically they aren't use to the new tank or surroundings and if something goes bump in the night, or startles them, they panic, dash about the tank and sometimes get air time.

Mysid shrimp are a type of marine shrimp that I used to keep and they were notorious for it. During the first month I had them, I would have to lift the coverglass every hour during the night and gently scrape the shrimp off the underside of the coverglass. Eventually they settled down but a few dried out because I didn't get them back into the water in time.

If you have a night light on for the first few weeks, it can help reduce the chance of them jumping out because they have a bit of light to see what is going on. You can also reduce the water level by an inch or two so there is less chance of them going over the wall.

Shrimp regularly panic jump at night when they are first introduced into a new aquarium. Basically they aren't use to the new tank or surroundings and if something goes bump in the night, or startles them, they panic, dash about the tank and sometimes get air time.

Mysid shrimp are a type of marine shrimp that I used to keep and they were notorious for it. During the first month I had them, I would have to lift the coverglass every hour during the night and gently scrape the shrimp off the underside of the coverglass. Eventually they settled down but a few dried out because I didn't get them back into the water in time.

If you have a night light on for the first few weeks, it can help reduce the chance of them jumping out because they have a bit of light to see what is going on. You can also reduce the water level by an inch or two so there is less chance of them going over the wall.

At last check today before lights out, I located the three remaining shrimp.

It took me about 15 minutes checking all the nooks and cracks, but theyā€™re terrific at hiding, or just hanging out and feeding. Apparently I can setup a scape where everyone can hide...

The three remaining shrimp seemed to have settled, they went in around 2pm est time on Sunday.

Ive gone ahead and put a night light on the outlet, itā€™s low-light led, about 18ā€ below the base of the tank and 20ā€ to the side of the tank stand. Not sure it will do much.

The tank is in my sonā€™s room, and he sleeps like log. So unless someone was shutting a door nearby mid-night, thereā€™s very little in the way of vibration or noise that can spook them.

I guess that all comes back to them getting used to their environment, be it physical or getting used to water parameters.

I am disappointed I lost 2. I hope the other 3 are going to do well and ease into their new surrounding.

Thanks for the input, Iā€™m going to tighten up the openings for hoses and cords when I build the new lid and try to provide some more comfort for new inverts next time around.

Sorry for your loss, thatā€™s a bummer. :(

Awesome, I had turtles back when I was 8 years old, I loved those little guys!
I got these when they were just babies at Chinatown in New York back in 1996, they will eat out of my hand. Sorry about your shrimp. I lost one jumping out of my tank back when I had shrimp.

Attachments

• GEDC1183.JPG
    GEDC1183.JPG
    293.1 KB · Views: 82
  • GEDC1184.JPG
    GEDC1184.JPG
    169.4 KB · Views: 79
  • GEDC1199.JPG
    GEDC1199.JPG
    299 KB · Views: 81
I love what you have going on overall with the tank and I'm glad to hear that the remaining shrimp seem to have settled in! Plans to get a few more or holding off for now to see how these guys do?

Also what kind of snails do you have? (Sorry if you already said this earlier)

They love June bugs too
Unfortunately my parents didnā€™t want to keep up on the maintenance and we had to get rid of them. I remember they went to a great home though, a reptile collector took them off of our hands.
I remember we fed them yellow jackets once or twice, but I donā€™t think we ever tried June bugs.
ah itā€™s bringing back memories, my uncle used to love helping me feed them.
I love what you have going on overall with the tank and I'm glad to hear that the remaining shrimp seem to have settled in! Plans to get a few more or holding off for now to see how these guys do?

Also what kind of snails do you have? (Sorry if you already said this earlier)
I think Iā€™m going to stick with the 3. I still have 3 ottos in quarantine right now that are destined for the 20.

and once the plants fill in I may even try to add a couple more pandas to keep my 2 I have company.

that will probably be pushing the stocking. If itā€™s not already.

My snails are zebra nerites.

Ooh pretty snails! I heard somewhere that their eggs (despite never hatching) are an eyesore, what's your take on that?

Ooh pretty snails! I heard somewhere that their eggs (despite never hatching) are an eyesore, what's your take on that?
To be honest, I think Iā€™ve got two males, because I havenā€™t seen any. Either that or the fish are eating them

Most reactions

Back