20 long rescape

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

I let the the new plants settle for two weeks I think? Iā€™ll have to check the original post...

The wisteria has been rooting like crazy out all the leaf nodes. Most of the original leaves are melting.
So I went ahead and trimmed up both then wisteria and ludwigia, got rid of all melting leaves, chopped them up and re-planted.
I put some of the cutoffs into the 10gal quarantine tank as well.
I may have created a monster as now I have 8 rooting wisteria plants and 6 ludwigia plants in the 20, as well as 4 wisteria and 2 ludwigia in the 10.

here is what the 20 looks like after trimming:
View attachment 124221

based on what Iā€™ve seen so far, that wisteria is going to be back up and sprawling in no time....
That tank looks wicked! I have a thing for anubias, and I like that it's in a sweet spot on your tank.
Oh, and that cabinet looks sturdy as heck.

This reply is mostly for my own notes, next steps in the build.

Next weekend is soldering wire connections and clamping wires, for the under cabinet lighting system. all materials for that have been purchased.

if time allows, the acrylic lid build can begin. I have the 1/4ā€ sheet glass. Acrylic hinges showed up today. I opted for a clear epoxy bonding glue. Typical acrylic bonding solvents seem to be difficult to find in Canada right now. If anyone in Canada reads this and knows where I can get weld-on 4 or an equivalent acrylic welding cement, let me know.

Next step is custom frame for the power bar and switching out the outlet for gfci outlet.

aside from acrylic cement, all current and future projects have been paid for, are here and ready for work.

also need to order my new cories and ottos, so I can start them into quarantine.

In the meantime, itā€™s time, itā€™s time to start stripping and cleaning the 30 gal, to get ready for re-sealing and painting.
Just as an FYI I've used 1/4 in acrylic for tank covers and find that the temp/emanating from the water and the heat from light will cause the acrylic to bow. So that every now and then I have to flip them upside down I wonder if that's still the case for a thicker acrylic say something between 1/4 and 1/2".

This reply is mostly for my own notes, next steps in the build.

Next weekend is soldering wire connections and clamping wires, for the under cabinet lighting system. all materials for that have been purchased.

if time allows, the acrylic lid build can begin. I have the 1/4ā€ sheet glass. Acrylic hinges showed up today. I opted for a clear epoxy bonding glue. Typical acrylic bonding solvents seem to be difficult to find in Canada right now. If anyone in Canada reads this and knows where I can get weld-on 4 or an equivalent acrylic welding cement, let me know.

Next step is custom frame for the power bar and switching out the outlet for gfci outlet.

aside from acrylic cement, all current and future projects have been paid for, are here and ready for work.

also need to order my new cories and ottos, so I can start them into quarantine.

In the meantime, itā€™s time, itā€™s time to start stripping and cleaning the 30 gal, to get ready for re-sealing and painting.
In the states we have company called TAP Plastics, they have acrylic weld cement https://www.tapplastics.com/

That tank looks wicked! I have a thing for anubias, and I like that it's in a sweet spot on your tank.
Oh, and that cabinet looks sturdy as heck.
Thanks!
Cabinet is home made, and the whole house could fall down around it and it will still stand! Lol
Just as an FYI I've used 1/4 in acrylic for tank covers and find that the temp/emanating from the water and the heat from light will cause the acrylic to bow. So that every now and then I have to flip them upside down I wonder if that's still the case for a thicker acrylic say something between 1/4 and 1/2".
I figured that may be a problem, looks like Iā€™m going trying it anyways though, as Iā€™ve secured for left over 1/4ā€ material. I donā€™t think Iā€™m going to put it on the 20gal tank though, Iā€™m going to use it on the 10 instead, smaller foot print, led lights, not heated too much. Hopefully there wonā€™t be as much bowing, but it will be an experiment to find out tolerances.

As far as the acrylic cement goes, Iā€™ve given up on trying to find it here in Canada, gonna testnthisnplastic epoxy i got

How does the glue affect the plants, I have only ever used a bit of nylon fishing line to tie plants to drift wood. Never thought of using glue. Doesn't that bind up the roots.

As @Fishmanic said, you only glue the rhizome for plants like java and anubias. I also used it when I first got my Christmas moss. Which was tissue cultured, but didnā€™t look terribly great even then. Itā€™s bounced back terrifically, almost 5x growth over 3 months. For this moss it gave a place to set itself while it grows out and attaches itself.

the other thing I will add is that I only use the ā€œgelā€ style glues. I also use gorilla as the brand. For chemical reasons I donā€™t have any knowledge on, exposure to water speeds up the curing time. Like almost instant when submerged.

I tried to glue my one anubias to a rock, and I swear I could hold it there for a minute and do nothing but glue my finger to the rock. Get your fingers unstuck, and dip it in water once, plant instantly stuck, glue cured.

keep in mind, any time you use glue, you do so of your own accord. Iā€™m not by any means advocating the use of glue, Iā€™m just telling my own experiences.

Decided today that I would put some work in on the cabinet under the stand.

had the under cabinet lights roughed in, so I finished soldering the connections, hiding the wires and plugging them in...

1E490607-EC12-4719-9481-452738808967.jpeg
79A25151-869E-4766-838F-792B83F6BA59.jpeg

I put the switch on the left door as that is where the day to day things are kept. Still a work in progress, but I mounted a magnet tool holder on the inside of the door to hold the plant tools.

I am also workings on this...
9A90BF16-BA6D-4203-872C-66B45E0A1B76.jpeg

That will be revealed tomorrow... if I get it done and installed...

So cool to be handy :)
Double edged sword though, hard to take a break from doing things when you have tools and material laying around in the shop and ideas in your head. And people in your household want/need things done, but they also want you to be around.

love and hate it, lol. Iā€™m taking a break right now because there are some adults that are napping and ā€œmy tools are too loudā€... pffft

Love the DIY!

Also love that dark substrate, any idea what brand it was?

Love the DIY!

Also love that dark substrate, any idea what brand it was?

I think itā€™s TETRA or marine land, whatever they sell at petsmart. This DIY tank is adding up on the cost front, I would have done black sand in retrospect. But thereā€™s always the next tank...

Makes sense on the double edged sword thing, plus the honey do list I'm sure...

Ooh ooh, is this a stand for the 30g?!?

Makes sense on the double edged sword thing, plus the honey do list I'm sure...

Ooh ooh, is this a stand for the 30g?!?

Great guess! But the 30gal is going onto the existing stand, and that project has been post poned...

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back