20 long rescape

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°
Excited to see your update! Hope the snow situation was manageable. We had fun shoveling out this morning with my son, they closed daycare so nobody had anywhere to go, apparently. Sun was out and the snow stopped around 10am so apart from being a little sore and developing a healthy appetite out there, good morning so far. Felt bad that we don't have a sled since all the neighborhood kids were walking past the house to go sledding, and little guy definitely felt left out :( first time parent note to self: a two year old will want a sled.

Your tank is looking really great! I love how clear the water is and the plants are doing spectacularly. No algae to speak of from the looks of it?

Sorry about the trials and tribulations with the otos, they're sensitive little creatures.

Plants are going crazy, not all looking their best, but growing very well. Christmas moss is absolutely going out of control, and the ludwigia is loving life.

After the new otos are ready to join this tank, Iā€™ll probably split a lot of these plants, I donā€™t think I have the right mix, too much competition for nutrients.

but Iā€™m looking at a rebuild with a similar setup, just a new planted substrate, bigger (taller) tank, everything else will be the same.

and yes Iā€™m posting again, I was going to shovel snow, but I canā€™t see outside right now itā€™s coming down too hard
How do you get your Christmas moss to do so well??? Mine is still basically on the anchor rock I got it on.

Thanks everyone for the interest...

and little guy definitely felt left out :( first time parent note to self: a two year old will want a sled.

yep. For sure! I had all three of boys out over the weekend, great way to burn off their excess energy! Haha.

unfortunately they like to play with their GT snow racers in the summer as well, which means they have lost all their pull cords. So that means dad has to go up and down the hill every time they do to help them get their racers back up.

well worth it though, they had a blast.
Iā€™ve got a sore back between that and shoveling, but Iā€™ve got a muscle relief spray thatā€™s working wonders, and I smell like peppermint all day long!

Your tank is looking really great! I love how clear the water is and the plants are doing spectacularly. No algae to speak of from the looks of it?

No algae I can see, between the MTS, shrimp and otoā€™s, they keep it right clean. Donā€™t worry though, otos get a healthy dose of algae wafers and zucchini. Though I swear theyā€™re eating the driftwood as well.

How do you get your Christmas moss to do so well??? Mine is still basically on the anchor rock I got it on.

I started with 2 of those tissue culture cups and basically ripped it to shreds and just used glue on the driftwood, dabbed little pieces here and there as many small portions as would stick to the glue on each dollop.

it was the first group of plants into the aquarium, and so it has been through everything the tank has been through, and has grown from little cuttings to what it is now over 7-8 months.

itā€™s a mediumish planted tank setup, low tech, some decent lighting, I would say borderline over stocked, I use root tabs (seachem) for rooted plants and aquarium co-op liquid fertilizer.

somewhere in that mix Iā€™ve found the right conditions to have it grow well. I do have to cut some plants back now though, Iā€™m seeing some deficiencies here and there, wisteria and ludwigia are going nuts...

Also, for those interested, the otos in the quarantine tank are doing VERY well!

The biggest one, with the lesion on its side, has now completely healed. It is now showing very encouraging signs of regrowing itā€™s tail.

the two smaller survivors are also getting some size back on their tails, eating well and seem to have settled back into being less skiddish.
All three are now coloured up to the point that you would expect to see from a healthy oto.

full bellies all around, they are hesitant to scavenge from algae wafers, but love the zucchini. They have picked the tank clean of any algae I can see....

Iā€™ll admit that I rushed my quarantine of the panda corydoras, and added them to the main tank after only 2 weeks. It has worked out for me. I think it has been 3 weeks for them in the main tank, and everything is great.

these otos though, because they were received in less than optimal conditions, theyā€™re going to get the 4 week treatment.

theyā€™re doing so well, I want to make absolutely sure that theyā€™re ready. So two more weeks to go.
After that, if all is good, otos will join their counterparts in the main tank and the 10gal is being taken down, possibly decommissioned, for now. Maybe being replaced with a 20... MTS syndrome?

That's given me ideas for the 20L I'm fixing to work on. I'm keeping it to simple plants, stem plants, java moss, Anubis mostly, I might have a few rooted plants but I don't really want to have to have a lot of substrate to maintain.

I want enough to keep the tetras and shrimp I'm planning on keeping.

Here's my 10 gallon with Betta and tetras
IMG_20211028_105449435.jpg

That's given me ideas for the 20L I'm fixing to work on. I'm keeping it to simple plants, stem plants, java moss, Anubis mostly, I might have a few rooted plants but I don't really want to have to have a lot of substrate to maintain.

I want enough to keep the tetras and shrimp I'm planning on keeping.

Here's my 10 gallon with Betta and tetras
View attachment 146798
Hey, if we can inspire another mind to setup something cool, thatā€™s a win in my books, keep us updated

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back