$20 -9/11 Topic Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

bullhead

Reaction score
I dont understand why the topic on the 911 $20 bill started by BigMick was closed.I didnt see anything as heated or distastefull,so why was it closed?because 1 person didnt like the subject,I dont think that is fair.We are all adults here right?I think a mod. needs to reopen the topic and allow people to voice thier opinions in a calm and rational manner. :good:

Because general chit chat and especially political topics & discussions are not allowed on TFF. Not just specifically that thread.
This section is for non-fish photos.

Because general chit chat and especially political topics & discussions are not allowed on TFF. Not just specifically that thread.
This section is for non-fish photos.

and you're probably right Bloo, in which case one of those reasons should have been used to close the topic. As it stands I agree with Bullhead, the reason that was given for closing the topic isn't a satisfactory one. It comes across as an abuse of privelidges due to one mods personal views.

Bloo has really hit the nail on the head there. It had diverged from a picture and comments about the picture and had become a "General" topic on the various films/docs/theories of the 11th September events. We know from past experience what happens with "General" threads, that is why we no longer have a "General" board.

Bloo has really hit the nail on the head there. It had diverged from a picture and comments about the picture and had become a "General" topic on the various films/docs/theories of the 11th September events. We know from past experience what happens with "General" threads, that is why we no longer have a "General" board.

I bet that 50% of the topics on here diverge from thier original subject.If thats the reason then I have a topic that needs to be closed cause it started as a MH question and ended up as plant talk.Wouldnt moving it be a better solution?Sorry Bloo,I didnt find anywhere where it said idle chit-chat and politics are forbidden in these forums.I was under the impression that these forums were for different opinions and different ideas and seeing what other thought about those opinions and ideas as long as it stays civil.correct me if I'm wrong and please have info to back it up.

http://www.fishforums.net/General-Chat-Section-t174797.html

These forums are for different opinions & different ideas... about fish and other related aquatic subjects. You wouldn't go on a politically oriented forum & discuss the strengths & weaknesses of hob filters vs canister filters, and if you did that topic would probably be closed on that forum.

The link I provided should shed some light on the topic of general chat posts. To sum it up general chat topics all too often turn into a name calling, mud slinging mess that will not be tolerated on a family oriented forum such as this.

The link I provided should shed some light on the topic of general chat posts. To sum it up general chat topics all too often turn into a name calling, mud slinging mess that will not be tolerated on a family oriented forum such as this.
[/quote]

I agree it should be shut down if it gets hostile in any way.I geuss I have a problem when it gets shut down for being a little off topic and because one person doesnt like whats happening.I just dont get it.That really makes me look at this site differently in a negative way,I just dont like the fact that we can be censored for really no reason,regardless if we're talkin politics on a fish forum.maybe we need to add a general disscusion topic or a random disscusion topic.I am somewhat disappointed in the way this was handled. :no:

Actually that topic should have been at least closed, if not pulled, the day it was posted. It was never on any topic related to aquatics, thus doesn't belong on this forum. This forum is dedicated to aquatics, not federal reserve notes, origami, or conspiracy theorys.

I find it easiest to go to one of the many other forums on the internet that do focus on specific topics. There are plenty of forums where you can discuss the topic that was closed.

If you read through the link I provided, you will see that the chat room is open to general topics. You can always pm someone, or several people, and ask if they would like to enter the chat room for some non-aquatic discussion.

I'm always interested when someone complains about the way this site is run, so I had a look at the thread in question. I totally agree with closing that thread. In fact, I would have done it a lot sooner.

Well,I guess I am the minority here,I still dont see any harm in good clean conversation on any subject.So I guess I'll let sleeping dogs lie.........sorry for seeming like a.p.i.t.a. :p

yeah i was surprised it stayed open as long as it did.

not because of the sensitive subject or anything like that but because general chat is not allowed and that's what it clearly was.

This post is specifically addressed to Bullhead.

I am a supporter of having a General Section here. However, I am also a believer in following rules, regulations, laws of a particular forum that I belong to. The general consensus of the administrator and the moderating staff is that a General Chat section has caused more hurt and harm, then good. Therefore, it was removed. This is predominantly a fish forum. In an attempt to make this a more fun and friendly place, the administrator decided to open a few hobby sections so that people who became friends here and have common interests, can combine their aquarist interests with their outside interests.

There is still NO GENERAL CHAT FORUM HERE. Therefore, by the forum's rules, issues that fall under this heading...issues that can cause hurt or pain, will not be allowed.

The thread in question had deteriorated into a discussion on whether or not there was some sort of conspiracy with regards to the events of 9/11. My colleagues son was killed on the 104th floor. These comments HURT ME and I must assume they may hurt others. I was standing in the dust and ashes for 6 hours on surgical standby....I don't need to read about conspiracy theories when I am writing about nano reefing.

To show the hurt that a discussion on 9/11 causes, I print here ....the comments made at the funeral of my colleagues son.....made by his mother:

When I put XXX to sleep at night, I used to rub his head and say 'mommy is taking all the bad dreams out of your head tonite and putting in only good dreams'. My colleague told me over the phone, "a parent should never bury their child".

Conspiracy???? Yeah Bullhead....THE THREAD IS CLOSED. SH

This post is specifically addressed to Bullhead.

I am a supporter of having a General Section here. However, I am also a believer in following rules, regulations, laws of a particular forum that I belong to. The general consensus of the administrator and the moderating staff is that a General Chat section has caused more hurt and harm, then good. Therefore, it was removed. This is predominantly a fish forum. In an attempt to make this a more fun and friendly place, the administrator decided to open a few hobby sections so that people who became friends here and have common interests, can combine their aquarist interests with their outside interests.

There is still NO GENERAL CHAT FORUM HERE. Therefore, by the forum's rules, issues that fall under this heading...issues that can cause hurt or pain, will not be allowed.

The thread in question had deteriorated into a discussion on whether or not there was some sort of conspiracy with regards to the events of 9/11. My colleagues son was killed on the 104th floor. These comments HURT ME and I must assume they may hurt others. I was standing in the dust and ashes for 6 hours on surgical standby....I don't need to read about conspiracy theories when I am writing about nano reefing.

To show the hurt that a discussion on 9/11 causes, I print here ....the comments made at the funeral of my colleagues son.....made by his mother:

When I put XXX to sleep at night, I used to rub his head and say 'mommy is taking all the bad dreams out of your head tonite and putting in only good dreams'. My colleague told me over the phone, "a parent should never bury their child".

Conspiracy???? Yeah Bullhead....THE THREAD IS CLOSED. SH

So nothings changed then....

As it stands I agree with Bullhead, the reason that was given for closing the topic isn't a satisfactory one. It comes across as an abuse of privelidges due to one mods personal views.

For Darkstar, a quote from the forum rules:

The admins and moderators have final say

The way i see it, theres nothing wrong with what Steelhealr did

I support SH's descision, it's a controversial topic which a lot of people have personal involvement in. as i understand it one of the reasons they closed the general chat section was because controversial topics kept kicking off and were too much work for the mods to moderate, this is exactly the sort of general topic they didn't want so obviously it's going to get closed.

I don't think SH is letting his personal involvement cloud his descision, I think he's more sticking up for the thousands of people who could feel terribly hurt by reading the comments on that topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back