2 Gallon

Shrimp are very sensitive and need a cycled tank, therfore will need a filter.
I agree with Honeythorn, and would put about 5 shrimp in a 2 gallon tank. Although they do like a heavily planted tank ideally.

I wouldnt put any fish in a 2 gallon tank, im even hesitant with shrimp to be honest, and it is far far too small for a betta.
 
I think 2 gals is just fine for shrimp as long as you filter it.
 
i started with cherry shrimp in a 2g filtered tank they were fine - had to move them on cos they bred and slowly over took the tank

so thinking again about this i woudl go for red or yellow nosed shrimp as their larvae need brackish water to full strength saltwater to transform into shrimplets
so although they will breed they will never overtake the tank as they cant increase their numbers
they do need a higher ph though and do best 7.5 or over
 
If the OP doesn't want anything breeding like cherries, then Amano shrimp are a nice choice as they also need brackish/saltwater ( can't recall which it is ) to breed . They live a fairly long time ( for shrimp I think?? ) My Amanos are around 3 or 4 years old now and still going strong.
 
I'm not quite sure what type of shrimp I want. I kind of want to keep my options open to differnent types as I don't know what types I have around (thats if there are any around).
My favourite type so far are probably cherries.
 
The problem with cherries are that they are prolific breeders and in a 2 gallon you may quickly become overrun.
 
If the tank gets overun, I could move some to my other tank, couldn't I?

About the filter, I will need a to get one. Don't quite know if I could make, one even though it seems fairly simple. :blush:
 
This is my guide to building your own filter http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=277044&hl= there are others on the net. Which reminds me i need to add new pics to that, Its also running as my only filter as I have removed the fluval 1+ and my water stats have not changed so it must be working well as there is more stock in the tank then there was previously.
 
I was wondering if you could buy something like what you guys have made and roughly how much it would cost. I don't think I'm much of a DIY girl. LOL :lol:
 
I know of no commercial versions of the one I made as keeping the moss alive during transportation would be a nightmare plus its a very large design which compared to a fluval 1+ (which is rated for my tank size) would not be cost effective to distribute. Bribe someone into making it for you It only took me an hour and now that I have done it before I could probably knock one up in 20-30 mins.
 
Any ideas on who I could bribe? :shifty:

I don't need 1 with moss like yours (although it's a good idea), I only need 1 like the one Honeythorn posted a link to a little bit back.
 
Any ideas on who I could bribe? :shifty:

I don't need 1 with moss like yours (although it's a good idea), I only need 1 like the one Honeythorn posted a link to a little bit back.


I have no idea if you can buy these in shops in Austtrailia, but if not you could try ebay for one of these cheap Smallworld mini filters. I have one as a spare for when I am able to set up my 3 gallon for a few shrimp. It should prove ideal .CLICK ME FOR FILTER

It needs an airpump to run it and should definitely fit in a 2 gallon.
 
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
even if you say you are no DIY person, these are so easy to make you could DEFINITELY do it...no hurt in trying anyway and will only cost you your time.
i made two sponge filters both from materials i had just laying around and it took me about 15 minutes!!! a not so crafty person might take like, half an hour.( for TWO).
it is much simpler than you think and you only need a few basic BASIC tools to do so. my filters work GREAT!!! id recommend at least trying to make you own..it can be fun and rewarding as you make them yourself :)
if you need a hand (or moral support) or ideas on how to build one from things you probably have anyway, feel free to send me a PM...
while the link to DIY is very helpful, there is more than one reasonable method to build a sponge filter. as long as it sticks to the principle... dont feel daunted...you can DO IT!!!
good luck!

(can you tell that im a big advocate for the sponge filter???so easy it is ridiculous!!!)
 

Most reactions

Back
Top