2 Gallon Stocking idea.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Ryan_F

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey everyone.
I know that no fish should be kept in a 2 gal. But Iā€™m planning to get this looking really nice I was thinking of putting a few fish in the 2gal, and then If a fish gets sick from my 20gal could just swap them over. I canā€™t bare to have a empty tank sitting in my room.
PH is 7.2
GH canā€™t remember 100 percent but it was 8,9 or 10 (I can find out)
KH was 120
Unfortunately due to quarantine restrictions I canā€™t have any type of shrimp and the only snails I can get are mystery. I was hoping for a Betta but if I had to move it to my 20gal, (which is very happy at the moment) I feel like the Betta would upset them probably.
Would neons, or guppies be ok? I do a water change weekly, and I keep my tanks in great condition, I will try to have 3-4 plants in it :)
Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Ryan, I think the space is just too small for any fish to live comfortably.
Betas need at minimum 5 gallons and guppies and neons prefer to live in schools.
You could try to keeping them but it would require more supervision I think.
Good luck too whatever you decide to do.

Hi Ryan, I think the space is just too small for any fish to live comfortably.
Betas need at minimum 5 gallons and guppies and neons prefer to live in schools.
You could try to keeping them but it would require more supervision I think.
Good luck too whatever you decide to do.

Itā€™s such a shame my state is annoying with not letting us have shrimp or any snails

Could you keep crabs? I know some people keep freshwater pom pom crabs in small tanks.

Could you keep crabs? I know some people keep freshwater pom pom crabs in small tanks.

Nope. Of course not. Smh. Stupid Australia!

There are numerous native shrimp and snails in Australia. If you drag a fish net through the grass along the edge of a creek, you will get glass shrimp and possibly snails if you live in a suburban area.
You get glass shrimp in most countries.

If you head north in Australia there are numerous other types of shrimp too, including red and green varieties. However, when you go north you have to watch out for chocodiles.

There's a company in the Northern territory called Aquagreen. It is owned by a guy called Dave. He is in ANGFA and has a variety of shrimp and snails he sells.
http://aquagreen.com.au/catalog.html

Having said all this, 2 gallon tanks are pretty much useless. My fish buckets hold more water.

There are numerous native shrimp and snails in Australia. If you drag a fish net through the grass along the edge of a creek, you will get glass shrimp and possibly snails if you live in a suburban area.
You get glass shrimp in most countries.

If you head north in Australia there are numerous other types of shrimp too, including red and green varieties. However, when you go north you have to watch out for chocodiles.

There's a company in the Northern territory called Aquagreen. It is owned by a guy called Dave. He is in ANGFA and has a variety of shrimp and snails he sells.
http://aquagreen.com.au/catalog.html

Having said all this, 2 gallon tanks are pretty much useless. My fish buckets hold more water.

I know 2 gal is useless. It was like 100$ down to 25$ so I couldnā€™t resist. Thanks for the advice. I donā€™t know if they will let those green shrimps etc into tassie. Glass shrimp should be easy enough to find. Would they be ok in this sort of tank though?

You could have a few glass shrimp in that tank. Have some plants in there and do regular water changes and see how they do.

You could have a few glass shrimp in that tank. Have some plants in there and do regular water changes and see how they do.

Ok thanks. I wish I lived on the mainland. Would just get some RCS haha

If you visit the mainland, you could bring a thermos flask with a drink in. You can drink it while wandering around looking at sites. And when it's empty, well it might just happen to get some fresh water in and some shrimp might be in that water.

Alternatively just ask someone to ship you some. Have the shrimp in plastic bags with Java Moss and no water, or just a tiny amount of water so it doesn't slosh about. Or put the shrimp in plastic bottles with water and label them as fish medication or something else. Then just get them sent by Australia Post 24 hour express post.

If you visit the mainland, you could bring a thermos flask with a drink in. You can drink it while wandering around looking at sites. And when it's empty, well it might just happen to get some fresh water in and some shrimp might be in that water.

Alternatively just ask someone to ship you some. Have the shrimp in plastic bags with Java Moss and no water, or just a tiny amount of water so it doesn't slosh about. Or put the shrimp in plastic bottles with water and label them as fish medication or something else. Then just get them sent by Australia Post 24 hour express post.

You wanna send them?! Sounds too easy haha

Also, if they caught me, wouldnā€™t I get in big trouble?

I live in WA and don't have access to colourful shrimp here. You could try emailing a few pet shops in Victoria and see if they are willing to send you some. Make an email addy at google or somewhere online and use the local library's computer to converse with them. Then delete the account after you have them.

You could also join the ANGFA forum (link below) and ask if any members have some shrimp they could send you. A lot of guys over east send eggs to WA in the Australia Post 24 hour express post packs (cost about $16 for the pack). I send them the new post packs by normal mail, and they put bags of fish eggs in the post pack and send it back.
https://www.angfa.org.au/

If you get caught, just act ignorant and say you didn't know. Then they will simply confiscate the shrimp and kill them.

If you use the thermos in carry on luggage, nobody is going to look in that when it's coming from the mainland. And you could add a couple of drops of Tetra Blackwater extract to the water to make it tea coloured. Then it looks even more legit. I have a thermos of Tea I brought from home.

I live in WA and don't have access to colourful shrimp here. You could try emailing a few pet shops in Victoria and see if they are willing to send you some. Make an email addy at google or somewhere online and use the local library's computer to converse with them. Then delete the account after you have them.

You could also join the ANGFA forum (link below) and ask if any members have some shrimp they could send you. A lot of guys over east send eggs to WA in the Australia Post 24 hour express post packs (cost about $16 for the pack). I send them the new post packs by normal mail, and they put bags of fish eggs in the post pack and send it back.
https://www.angfa.org.au/

If you get caught, just act ignorant and say you didn't know. Then they will simply confiscate the shrimp and kill them.

If you use the thermos in carry on luggage, nobody is going to look in that when it's coming from the mainland. And you could add a couple of drops of Tetra Blackwater extract to the water to make it tea coloured. Then it looks even more legit. I have a thermos of Tea I brought from home.

Sounds good, only thing with carry on luggage they x-ray the bag, wouldnā€™t they show up? Anyway lll try that forum. Thanks for your help. This could be my life destiny!

they x-ray your bags when coming from the mainland?
stupid government, terrified of nothing.

They probably will show up under x-ray and the x-rays might not be the best for the shrimp. You might be able to find a lead lined thermos but that could weigh a bit and make them think you are trying something fishy.

The other option is just put them in a small bag with a tiny bit of water and a little bit of air so they don't get squashed, and put them in your pocket. Make sure you double bag it so it doesn't leak. Then just walk through with them in your pockets.

Most reactions

Back