2.5 Gallon....killifish A Possability?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Shovelman

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Well i have this old meta-frame 2.5 gallon tank you see...and quite frankly there's not much that can live happily in terms of fish in such a small tank..but i remember reading an article in a fish magazine about a woman who made a little vivarium out of a like 1 gallon bowl and put some clown killi's in it...will they do fine in a small tank such as my 2.5g provided i do wc frequently and also ill be building a mini canister filter too. Any species that would suit this set up?

I wanted to get a few more fish over the weekend including shrimp. They fascinate me. Then the whole tank got ich.

I wanted to get a few more fish over the weekend including shrimp. They fascinate me. Then the whole tank got ich.

wow.. thats a bummer.....

i know were still in the killifish section but you guys have any other ideas? Like any small amphibians? Possibly do a vivarium/ 1/2 land 1/2 water tank with aquatic and terrestrial plants?

Here is an article that may be of interest to you, Shovelman.

http://www.fishchannel.com/fish-exclusives/aquarium-fish-international/fundulopanchax-gardneri.aspx

A 2.5 is really a big jar - good for fry and not much else. Even then, for fry, it's good for 2-3 weeks. A pair of annulatus might be the only killie I'd consider, but even then, you'd be changing the water all the time. 10 gallon tanks are dirt cheap, probably cheaper than a pair of good fish, so why bother with the tiny tanks that don't work and ultimately kill fish?

A 2.5 is really a big jar - good for fry and not much else. Even then, for fry, it's good for 2-3 weeks. A pair of annulatus might be the only killie I'd consider, but even then, you'd be changing the water all the time. 10 gallon tanks are dirt cheap, probably cheaper than a pair of good fish, so why bother with the tiny tanks that don't work and ultimately kill fish?

Because I like to use what i have...i do have a 10 gallon but that's going to be my sw qt tank....

Sorry to dig up an old thread..

Thanks creeker for the good read! I think ill use the tank as a plants only or for shrimp i guess..

Whilist I would go along with Gary's sentiments (he does know what he's talking about) It is the surface area more than anything that would determine more than anything what you could or could not keep, so going along the lines that you have only 2.5 gallons if it was a shallow but longer and wider container then you would be able to keep all manner of things including many Killi species within such a tank....but given that its probably a standard tank perhaps around 12x8x8 then I personally would only be using that as a short term breeder for Ps annulatus and nothing more.
Having said that it still will have its uses.....as folks have already mentioned there are some cracking Crystal Shrimp out there these days...Something I myself wants to get into at some point in the not too distant future.
atb
C

Whilist I would go along with Gary's sentiments (he does know what he's talking about) It is the surface area more than anything that would determine more than anything what you could or could not keep, so going along the lines that you have only 2.5 gallons if it was a shallow but longer and wider container then you would be able to keep all manner of things including many Killi species within such a tank....but given that its probably a standard tank perhaps around 12x8x8 then I personally would only be using that as a short term breeder for Ps annulatus and nothing more.
Having said that it still will have its uses.....as folks have already mentioned there are some cracking Crystal Shrimp out there these days...Something I myself wants to get into at some point in the not too distant future.
atb
C
Thanks BigC as you described it is shallow but long and those dimensions seem to fit! Im looking into blue tiger shrimp myself ;) love the pure blue on them

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back