19 Gallon Nano Diary - New Corals And Fish Etc

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

QuotheRaven

Something smells humany
Reaction score
11 1/2 inches high, 11 1/2 inches wide and 20 inches long tank, glass with silicon seams, former fresh water tank medications used on the tank but to my knowledge no copper unless it was a ingredient in a med.
I have some old freshwater filters but have been in tanks with previous disease.

I am not going for coral's and more interested in inverts and stuff like that...In short the tank is 10 gallons, 11 high, 11 wide and 20 long. I do know of and have read the pinned nano articles however it is a little overwhelming and I am after a sort of step by step purchase this then that then set up this etc...also do I need a filter or do I not that area confuses me

Fill your tank with water and let it seep in there for 3 or 4 days (use an airator). After that purchase a copper test kit and check the water.

I do know of and have read the pinned nano articles however it is a little overwhelming and I am after a sort of step by step purchase this then that then set up this etc

..then you may be in for a rough road. Marine systems can't be plopped together. They need to be planned out. If the readings are confusing, I suggest you find someone with a 10G thread and read thru their setup and how they are doing it. There is a link in the FAQ's to a previous women here who set up a 10G. SH

Well I will ask is the tank Im looking for ok for a Nano? and also do you need a filter or not thats my main question as it seems confusing... Im not plopping a marine tank together I am following what guides say and ask questions...

a 10 gallon tank is fine for a nano, if your using live rock filters are not required as the live rock will be your main filtration...it sounds like you need to do a little more research tho...

what do you mean by "inverts and stuff like that"?

Putting together a FOWLR is a piece of cake, don't listen to anyone who says otherwise.

You just get a tank, put some water in, add some salt, and add liverock and substrate (Assuming you use a substrate), a heater and a powerhead or two.

Wait for the levels to flatten out and go buy a fish.

Nothing confusing or difficult about that. I am not surprised you got a bit confused reading the pins and FAQs, they don't relate very well (if at all) to FOWLR and are constantly talking about the requirements for lights and very low nutrient levels which are just not important in a FOWLR.

Cheers Andywg and others...

I had totally gone against setting up the tank and then discovered I really have nothing to do with fish and have wanted one for so long... I get paid this week $100 so I think I might buy marine salt etc... first I will clean the tank and fill it with fresh water to test for copper and leaks and if all is clear I will begin :) and by inverts and stuff like that Im talking Im more interested in the inverts in marine tanks than fish

Im so dense I was sitting here thinking geez I need a heater argh! I have the original heater sitting just 1 metre away from me...are there any particular heaters that are and aren't suitable? I will try and find the box of the heater to see if it's ok...

Don't use metal healters. All the other ajustable heaters should be just fine.

All clear on the copper front and on thursday I have $100 or a little more to buy supplies on thursday so salt, powerhead and substrate first aswell as a salinity marker thing ( the official name escapes me)

I found park313's thread and had previously read through however much is attributed to corals and makes it quite confusing...But it seems quite a few small fish are available for a 10g set up...Inverts and Blennies interest me the most :D

So I will need to buy first, Marine salt, SG counter, Substrate, Live rock (which cycle's the tank cured or uncured...I am very tired this week so my brains not working to optimal) and maybe a heater....

The heater I have is a 50 watt aqua one fully submercible glass heater safe with saltwater

By SG markers, you can geta hydrometer or refractometer. I got my refractometer off of ebay for 35 bucks compared to 110 bucks off of a pet dealer. I would highly recommend getting a refractomeret off of there.

By SG markers, you can geta hydrometer or refractometer. I got my refractometer off of ebay for 35 bucks compared to 110 bucks off of a pet dealer. I would highly recommend getting a refractomeret off of there.
again im in the uk and i got a refractometer for £26 incl postage, instead of the £60-80 wanted at LFS

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back