This is it now, slightly raised :)

DSCN2233.jpg

OP
OP
ChilliPepper

ChilliPepper

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Got a powerhead today :) Pumps out 3100L/h, and is adjustable, so I have it pointing more towards the surface as I bought it for surface agitation.

Not sure what my litres per hour turnover is now, but that along with my FX5 at a claimed rate of 2,300 per hour, I should have quite a high turn over. Anyone know how to work it out?

Boris is in a sulk at the new thing, but will come round :lol:

OP
OP
ChilliPepper

ChilliPepper

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Think it works out at 8.5x turnover, so that should be more than sufficient, even for when they are adults.

kaivalagi

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Good stuff, I am also entertaining the idea of adding a powerhead, what make/model did you get? I have seen those cheap SunSun powerheads and was wondering if you went for one of those as I wouldn't mind a first hand review from someone here :)

hamfist

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Good stuff, I am also entertaining the idea of adding a powerhead, what make/model did you get? I have seen those cheap SunSun powerheads and was wondering if you went for one of those as I wouldn't mind a first hand review from someone here :)

I got a Hydor Koralia Nano 900 (900 lph) a week or so ago, for extra circulation. Absolutely silent and a godsend for getting a bit more circulation in those "hard to reach" parts of the tank. It's got a magnetic attachment which gives good support through the thick 12mm glass of my 130 gallon tank. thoroughly recommended !!

OP
OP
ChilliPepper

ChilliPepper

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score

It's a NeWave powerhead :) It attaches to the inside of the aquarium like a sat nav, very solid and silent. Very much like the Koralia's.
I've only had it a few hours, but very pleased with it so far :)

kaivalagi

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Thanks guys, still pondering whether to do it or not...I have no real need I just figure it would be good for the tank generally (not really planted or suffering algae but for the fish I am thinking)

OP
OP
ChilliPepper

ChilliPepper

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
I got mine as I find air pumps noisey, and airstones artificial looking, but wanted the circulation/oxygenation benefits of them still.

Powerheads also increase the flow in the tank, so more litres per hour is pushed through the filter. My filter houses enough media to sustain a more than adequate bacteria colony, so a much cheaper option to increase the litres per hour than getting another filter, was to get a powerhead.

The water has loads of movement on the top now, plus it is oxygenated throughout. As I have a cube style tank I have to be careful about 'dead spots', so this has solved the problem.

I was going to get the 1,400L/h one when I rang up, but decided to get the bigger one, and I'm glad I did.

N0body Of The Goat

Oddball and African riverine fish keeper
Reaction score
www.lampspecs.co.uk are brilliant for cheap quality tubes, I use them for replacement bulbs for my Seasonal Affective Disorder lightboxes, less than 33% of the price that the lightbox company will sell them to me for!
good.gif

They do stock some T5 lighting, but I cannot tell you what sizes off the top of my head...

kaivalagi

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I used lampspec to get 2 t5 tubes for my tank, they have a good variety of them as you would expect. One of the tubes turned up and didn't work, they sent me another on the day I told them...very good service

A great review of lighting for planted tanks can be found here: http://ukaps.org/for....php?f=50&t=555

OP
OP
ChilliPepper

ChilliPepper

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Couple more pics of the tank. I am going to have to put some carbon in the filter I think, as it's proving difficult getting rid of these pesky tannins.

DSCN2246.jpg

DSCN2240.jpg

DSCN2261.jpg

DSCN2256.jpg

Spot the bichir, oh and Boris begging in every pic :lol:

snowflake311

Fish nerd
Reaction score
:hyper: It looks great. I love the wood and the hanging plants very nice. you need more fish ;) .

hamfist

Fish Herder
Reaction score
What's wrong with a bit of begging ?

Seriously, going back to tannins ... they can be a nightmare. I have failed to control them with carbon myself. Many people absolutley swear by Seachem purigen to get rid of tannin colouring. I tried a small bag of the stuff for that purpose which, to be honest, didn't seem to do a lot for me. Maybe I just needed to use more of it. It is pretty expensive though. :sad:

OP
OP
ChilliPepper

ChilliPepper

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
:hyper: It looks great. I love the wood and the hanging plants very nice. you need more fish ;) .

I know, it looks so empty in there at the moment! :lol:

I'm doing 50% waterchanges every week, and for the first couple of days the water is a lot clearer, but it soon stains again as the week goes on. It will go eventually I suppose :rolleyes:

meguro

Fish Herder
Reaction score
why not use activated carbon in ur filter? unless the water is turning an impossible to see through brown i dont know why ppl care so much about tannins anyway

Most reactions

trending

Staff online