14 gallon planted tank journal.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Are there any really really really really really really quick ways of cycling.
If this is your need, then keeping fish, (or any animal, for that matter), is NOT for you.

Patience is an essential requirement and almost every case of poorly and dying fish, talked about in this Forum, can be put down to impatience.

I understand the frustration in not being able to set up a tank and get fish quickly, the excitement and enthusiasm is intoxicating sometimes.

We've ALL had to start somewhere and some of us made mistakes and learned the hard way and some of us did some research and started that way but we've all definitely made mistakes along the way.

No one is an expert fishkeeper straightaway.

So first step is to learn the fishless cycle, this IS the best way for a beginner into this fantastic hobby, just have to have some patience and an eagerness to learn more, this is a lot to learn but the first thing, as mentioned, is the fishless cycle.

This way, NO fish will get harmed or killed simply because it is a FISH LESS process (meaning there are no fish in the tank at all), then you won't get upset if fish gets ill and then passes away and then having to start all over again which costs you time and money. Simple as that really.
Then once the fishless cycle is finished successfully, you can then stock the tank with your choice/s of fish that is suitable for the tank size and water type and then enjoy!

Don't worry, we all just want to help you start well and let you gain some confidence and knowledge so that both you AND the fish are happy.

By the way, there is no such thing as stupid questions in this hobby, the only stupid thing to do is NOT to ask questions. So please ask away and we'll be happy to help and guide you along the way whenever and however we can.

There are a lot of good fishkeepers on here who have learned and experienced a lot over the years and know what is best to do and what to avoid to help stop any unhappiness and stress, take advantage of their knowledge and experience and ask questions.

Good luck ;)

Last edited:
You finally got your aquarium, you must be thrilled. Congrats! This is your first step taken towards fish keeping and the time to put to good use the voluminous and excellent help and advice you got from both another forum and this forum. Yes, I have been reading you since you first started posting on the other forum and now I have seen you on here with the same questions so you have to be well informed. šŸ˜„
You know what? Sometimes we donā€™t like the answers we get so we keep asking the same questions hoping to finally get one we like. Unfortunately thatā€™s not possible in this case. Fish keeping is a serious hobby, remember you are dealing with live beings and if you are responsible and really love fish you will do whatā€™s best for them and not for you.
The only possible way for you to go about this if you want to do what is necessary for your fish is:
1. Add your substrate and do a bit of scaping.
2. Add a few plants it will help a small tank stay health.
3. Start cycling your tank, Iā€™m sure you will get all the help you need here.
4. When and only when you are cycled add (depending on the size) 1 to 3 fish per week or you will crash your cycle.

Results! You are now a responsible and respected fish owner who can participate on here and contribute to this wonderful hobby.

Thankyou very much everybody. This will be my 3rd tank btw. I will do a no fish cycle.
Thatā€™s excellent news! šŸ˜„ We will be here for you as well as rooting for you that it goes as fast as possible.
Here is a suggestion that will help speed things up a bit. My lfs sell bio balls that already have beneficial bacteria growing on them, they keep them in a cycled aquarium and they cost $5 here in Canada. If you can get one it will help. That or if you have a friend that has a cycled aquarium ask him for a bit of his filter media or even some gravel just a handful will help.
Good luck and keep us updated.

A thread just for you!!!
WOW! Good things come for those who make the right decision. šŸ˜‰

As a lot of you know I am starting a 14 gallon planted tank, it will have the following fish im getting tomorrow:

5 cory catfish.

1 dwarf goumari.

8 neon tetras.

1 guppy. (I need to have it in tank)

Here's a photo of my now empty tank that will be full tomorrow:
View attachment 144306
I will post photos of the full tank tomorrow. I will also give updates of the 5ank every once in a while.
I am new to fish keeping , but a local store told me not to buy more than 3 Cory cats for a 10 G tank. They are tiny albinos. Only fish in tank. A few plants and some snails.
So your tank, while larger, strikes me as overstocked. Many here whoā€˜d know better than me.

I am new to fish keeping , but a local store told me not to buy more than 3 Cory cats for a 10 G tank. They are tiny albinos. Only fish in tank. A few plants and some snails.
So your tank, while larger, strikes me as overstocked. Many here whoā€˜d know better than me.

Ok thankyou, I will be aware of stocking.

I just bought my plants, substrate, rock and heater! Here's a photo. I will now start the cycling progress.
20211001_121325.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Back