14 gallon planted tank journal.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ok, i already know everything about cycling, i just thought it was only needed in a saltwater tank. Now i know also in freshwater. Tell me if im wrong: You pour some ammonia in the tank, you also pour beneficial bacteria into the tank. The beneficial bacteria eats the ammonia then the becifical bacteria turns the ammonia into nitrite. After that the nitrite slowly turns into nitrate, after that you can put the fish in.

Please don't take this the wrong way but I get the impression you are quite young. I don't say this to be condescending or put you down but I would strongly recommend getting a parent involved here.

There is a lot of things to learn and a large responsibility that comes with taking care of an animal and it is not fair to put that all onto someone who maybe doesn't have the life experience yet to be able to handle it. I think you mentioned your Mum in a previous thread. If you can get her involved with this, tell her it is something you would like to do together with her. Get her to make an account on here and we can help the both of you work through setting this up together.

I understand that sometime life isn't quite so straight forward and sometimes getting an adult involved may not be an option but if you can I would recommend it so you can have a much better time with this.
I have kept many fish for years and years. I know what am doing. Trust me. I will send a photo of the tank in a year or 2 to show how its going to prove it. Its not that i did not understand you, i understood you all very well. I was just asking for a quicker way, now i know there is not one. Im fine with that.

I will just buy cycled water. It seems like the quickest way, and im fine with spending some extra money on it.
This post possibly illustrates quite beautifully a thread @itiwhetu opened recently, about unnecessary gadgets and gizmos, pills and potions.

Many people want it and they want it NOW!
So we get all manner of seemingly wonderful solutions to naturally occurring aquarium problems and issue and also for problems and issues that don't even exist.
If someone really has created a label for 'cycled water'... :D

I have kept many fish for years and years. I know what am doing. Trust me. I will send a photo of the tank in a year or 2 to show how its going to prove it. Its not that i did not understand you, i understood you all very well. I was just asking for a quicker way, now i know there is not one. Im fine with that.
Sorry but this thread has proven beyond doubt that your really do not know what you are doing.

I think I'm done here.

Ok, i already know everything about cycling, i just thought it was only needed in a saltwater tank. Now i know also in freshwater. Tell me if im wrong: You pour some ammonia in the tank, you also pour beneficial bacteria into the tank. The beneficial bacteria eats the ammonia then the becifical bacteria turns the ammonia into nitrite. After that the nitrite slowly turns into nitrate, after that you can put the fish in.
It's not as simple as that.

Add a carefully measured amount of ammonia and the correct amount of bottled bacteria, then follow the fishless cycling method in the link I gave you.
Bottled bacteria products do not cycle a tank instantly, some of them do nothing, others just make the cycle go a bit faster.

As the others have said, there are no quick shortcuts in fish keeping. Everything in fish keeping is sloooooow.

This post possibly illustrates quite beautifully a thread @itiwhetu opened recently, about unnecessary gadgets and gizmos, pills and potions.

Many people want it and they want it NOW!
So we get all manner of seemingly wonderful solutions to naturally occurring aquarium problems and issue and also for problems and issues that don't even exist.
If someone really has created a label for 'cycled water'...

It's not as simple as that.

Add a carefully measured amount of ammonia and the correct amount of bottled bacteria, then follow the fishless cycling method in the link I gave you.
Bottled bacteria products do not cycle a tank instantly, some of them do nothing, others just make the cycle go a bit faster.

As the others have said, there are no quick shortcuts in fish keeping. Everything in fish keeping is sloooooow.
ok

Sorry but this thread has proven beyond doubt that your really do not know what you are doing.

I think I'm done here.
Ok, fine just because I got over exited and I got disappointed I'm a bad fish keeper, whatever I don't care what u say, u don't know me. So be quiet. the thing about the internet is that no one knows anyone, so people can just freely say random things about people. So stop talking.

Last edited:
I understand that sometime life isn't quite so straight forward and sometimes getting an adult involved may not be an option but if you can I would recommend it so you can have a much better time with this.
For all we know an adult got involved and came up with idea of buying cycled in the first place

And I hesitate to suggest this here and give the OP wrong ideas.... but a LFS selling buckets of cycled sand and a pre cycled cannister filter might be on to something. They kind of do that with live rock (and sand I think) already for the marine side...

For all we know an adult got involved and came up with idea of buying cycled in the first place

And I hesitate to suggest this here and give the OP wrong ideas.... but a LFS selling buckets of cycled sand and a pre cycled cannister filter might be on to something. They kind of do that with live rock (and sand I think) already for the marine side...
yes I was gonna get a marine tank but i relised it was not the best idea...

"I have kept many fish for years and years. I know what am doing."

I am just curious...how many years, and what kinds of fish did you keep?
If you've kept fish for years, surely you have some photos to share?

What! I thought that was only for Saltwater tanks! Are there any really really really really really really quick ways of cycling.
Not advisable but there are products to start the bacteria cycle that are “fish safe” but i still recommend fishless cycling

Buy some food and feed the empty tank for a week atleast! , whilst the filter does its thing starting the good bacteria off

watch for the initial chemical spike and only add fish once the tank has stabilised at 0ppm nitrates Oppm ammonia and 0ppm nitrites

Fishless cycling with ammonia is a safer option - with this method you know that you have grown enough bactera while with the fish food method there is no way to know if you have grown enough.

Bacterial starters are hit and miss. Some don't work, the best speed up a cycle. None of them cycle a tank instantly. Even the best ones don't always work if they have been stored incorrectly at any time since manufacture (eg in transit in very hot or very cold weather).

I have used Seachem Stability with the instructed dosage over the seven days. As much as it kickstarts the cycle, in the five aquariums that I have now and with previous ones, it does not complete or shorten the cycle in any way whatsoever....and nor does it actually state that it will.

I have also use Evolution Aqua Pure Aquarium Bombs and their smaller balls several times in the past. Again, they only kickstart the cycle, they do not shorten it in any way.

You still need to go through the process that is long and frankly tedious but you have to do it. There are no shortcuts, not even using seeded media or substrate will instantly cycle, it will only give it a kickstart. You have to put in the time and work for it to be successfully done.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back